free website stats program Fatboy question? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fatboy question?

I'm not sure why so many dealers are knocking the fat boys. When I spoke to a dealer about getting a FB shipped from the east coast he went on and on about how "the fat boy is a hog and it doesn't handle well, we don't even stock fatboys anymore, and you should get a dyna". The FB does handle like a beast, but its also the first bike I've owened and have only ridden a heritage for a weekend before...so what do I know yet?

I'm not sure why so many dealers are knocking the fat boys. When I spoke to a dealer about getting a FB shipped from the east coast he went on and on about how "the fat boy is a hog and it doesn't handle well, we don't even stock fatboys anymore, and you should get a dyna". The FB does handle like a beast, but its also the first bike I've owened and have only ridden a heritage for a weekend before...so what do I know yet?

The Fat Boy is a Heritage without the shield and bags. Sure haven't heard anyone putting down the Heritage! It's probably been the best selling Softail model for many years.

I ride a 07 Fat Boy, have had it out in some really bad winds riding home from work. It did pretty darn good, holding a good track around corners and on the straights. Like was said here you compensate for it. I had a 98 Yamaha Virago 1100 and it weighs less than 500 lbs, the wind pushed it around pretty good at times and it has small tires and open wheels.

My wife rides an 08 Fatboy and has no problems in the wind. Wider tire causing it to move around in the wind...I think not...lol...

Do it.

This comment, or question about being blown around in the wind because of solid rims always baffles me. It takes a lot of weather to stop me when I want to ride, or have to get someplace. In 35 years of ridding I have been in some strong winds with spoked and solid wheels. If you're gonna ride, you're gonna have to adapt to the nature of it.

A question I have is: If you're ridding down the hiway cutting wind at '50, 60 or 70' mph and a gust hits you, how much of the force, or affect of that force is actually attributed to only the wheels, vs the whole bike?
700+ Lbs with a low center of gravity and more tire on the road now. At axle height I have doubts there is any significant side force from anything short of a Force 5 wind. The actual rim area above axle on front tire is small.

I don't think the 'bullet' holes in the new rims allow any side wind to relieve any of that force at hiway speeds, or at a standstill for that matter!
I presently ride a 98 and an 08 Fat Boy and enjoy ridding in the elements I ride in. I do like the handling of the 08 above the 98 in part to the weight, tires and being lowered, but ride either in any similar conditions.

Perhaps the Myth Busters should test this one out!
Ride what you're comfortable with and the elements you are riding in.
I ride a 98 FatBoy and recently swapped out the solid front wheel to a spoke, I noticed a huge difference in how it handles on the highway with side winds, much nicer ride in my opinion. Plus I like the looks of spokes over the solids anyway.

I kind of figured that it what he was doing, and I have taken my business elsewhere.

The key here is the Sporty has a higher center of gravity, lighter in weight and with rider in the wind is larger in cross section height to length from the side profile...like a sail, which makes it more susceptible to side winds. Can't see the Fatboy moving 'round worse...lower center of gravity, more weight, with wider wheelbase, but lower side cross section with rider (less of a sail). The wder tires even make the bike want to "standup" when doing turns in the twisties...requiring more forcefull rider steering to maintain track (same with most metric sportbikes with fatter tires) where some think wider tires make the bike handle better, but actually can make the bike tougher to steer in turns. Solid wheels have more unsprung weight down low, which makes the bike stay planted unless bumped and steer "lazy" so solid wheels probably do not contribute to side wind susceptablilty as some believe, so don't listen to what ONE person says...match all the points up...it does not add up...Fatboy is less susceptable to side winds than Sportster...you do the math and decide fior yourself. :newsmile079:

Last edited:
this has gottent to be a much chatted about subject,, interesting. As stated above: It is all about perspective.

I got tired of cleaning spokes. It may be one reason for the arthritis in the hands now.
I like the looks of the solid rim and ease to clean.
I like the design and handling of the fat boys, both of them.
I bought the bikes I liked.
I'll take whatever comes with that and enjoy the ride.

I have a Fatboy Lo and haven't noticed any diffrence with the solid front wheel, and my old bike when riding in windy conditions. I love the bike!

In my opinion the "Fatboy gets blown around due to the solid wheels" discussion is tired. Paula (my wife) rides a Fatboy and we experience very high winds here along the Columbia River. She has no problems and I've ridden her bike enought to know that it's a complete myth.

Of course, this is simply an opinion of a simple minded guy...

I've been riding my 2005 Anniversary Model Fat Boy for 3 seasons now and absolutely LOVE it.
I would recommend a Fat Boy hands down to anybody.
Aside from how it reacts to gusts of cross winds, it's an extremely nice ride.
I hate like(EDIT) to re-open that nasty subject because I know a ton of people have argued over this a multitude of times already but I think it's time I put in my 2 cents.
I've heard soooooooooooo many debates about solid rims vs. spokes and how they each react to cross winds (or don't).
I don't care what mathematical equations you use, what physics you throw at me, whether or not you can spray water or blow air through spokes while the wheel is turning or not, whether you believe the differences are negligible or not.
The proof is in the pudding and I've had a very good taste of that pudding for the last three seasons. None of my previous rides reacted to cross winds like this one.
To the point where I just HAD to conduct my own tests. On really windy days, I would swap bikes with some of my buddies. We all agreed that there is one(EDIT) of a difference. It is not negligible. It is quite noticeable in fact.
However, I'm not about to just(EDIT) and complain about it, next week I'm doing something about it. I'm taking those rims off and having slots machined in them in a radial pattern. This is nothing new and nothing dangerous.
There is a ton of meat on those rims and I've seen several on the road and on the web that were modified.
I certainly don't think it will then react like a spoke wheel but I'm very much looking forward to seeing and feeling the results.
HD started putting holes in those rims a few years ago but apparently it had nothing to do with cross winds. We shall see... :s

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back