free website stats program Fatboy question? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fatboy question?

I also agree. I'm riding a Fat Bob with closed wheels. Ride in weather your comfortable with. I get slammed around a little but like said, the bike is 700lbs. and it holds the road nice with a larger tire in the rear. Tire size doesn't matter, it would be wheel shape. Standing still at a light and a gust hits, ya, more bike to catch the wind with closed wheels. Just hang on. :D

The (any) Big bike would do Better in the wind and I do like the statement of sitting IN-to the bike the On it... The sporty is Higher and lighter.. I have a 06 sporty and a 09 FLHR....

I can hardly believe the HD Dealer would let you get away without trading in the sport for a heaver bike , regardless of model....
His Mistake, but Right now would be a great opportunity to get THEM involved into a price lowering war... Without mentioning the different dealers to each other... Use this two dealer thing-ee to save you $$$..

You will be the Winner here...

signed....BUBBIE

I went from a Sporty to a 2009 Fatboy. Much nice. No wind issues at all. Actually, I think I felt the wind more on the Sporty because of the higher CG.

I live in Colorado and commuting from my house to work (where I can look out the window and see Pikes Peak) I get to deal with the wind. My current ride is an '03 Fatboy, still wearing its solid wheels and, yes, they do make a difference riding in the wind. For the most part, you just compensate for it. While we were at Sturgis in 2007, we rode down to Mount Rushmore and it was really windy. Nearly got blown off the road at one point, while riding on one of the twisty roads. But, for the most part, a Fatboy is heavy enough that you can deal with about any wind. I road from Colorado back to visit the family in Illinois and Indiana in 2008. Like most road trips, I had a variety of conditions, dealt with the wind from the big trucks, rain, etc. The Fatboy is a capable bike and I'll probably keep riding this one for a while!

This is a very simple set of equations.

The strength of the wind, the angle of the wind, and the surface area the wind has to push against are what will determine how hard it shoves the bike. After that you just have to factor in the weight of the bike and how hard you need to lean to keep from being pushed enough to drift.

A solid wheel has more surface than a spooked wheel, but the over all surface area is not increased by much. Nothing like a bicycle wheel since they are such a large portion of the cross section. Every bike is going to get jostled by the wind, but unless you have big plastic fairings and a bike that weighs 200 lbs you are going to experience just about the same type of ride as everyone else with a similar bike.

Tell this guy to leave the physics to those trained in it and sale you a bike.

This is a very simple set of equations.

The strength of the wind, the angle of the wind, and the surface area the wind has to push against are what will determine how hard it shoves the bike. After that you just have to factor in the weight of the bike and how hard you need to lean to keep from being pushed enough to drift.

A solid wheel has more surface than a spooked wheel, but the over all surface area is not increased by much. Nothing like a bicycle wheel since they are such a large portion of the cross section. Every bike is going to get jostled by the wind, but unless you have big plastic fairings and a bike that weighs 200 lbs you are going to experience just about the same type of ride as everyone else with a similar bike.

Tell this guy to leave the physics to those trained in it and sale you a bike.

I ride an '07 Fatboy and when the side wind is strong you can feel the difference of the disk wheels, bullet holes don't let the wind through any better than solid disk. Spoked or custom molded wheels will let the wind through better. Once you get used to the sensation of something pushing your front wheel it is not so bad.

Only time I got surprised was when I came out of a roadcut at 70 mph leaning into left turn and the wind hit me straight on from the right side; no harm done but a big adrenaline rush as I changed lanes

When I had my 2008 fatboy in for upgrades the dealer let me use a streetglide for a week I found that the fatboy handled much better in the wind then the streetglide . MYTH is BUSTED

I have a 98 Fatboy and love the bike. Don't worry about the wind it will push you around regardless of the ride you pick. Pick the one that feels right and fits right. You will love the Fatboy.

When I had my 2008 fatboy in for upgrades the dealer let me use a streetglide for a week I found that the fatboy handled much better in the wind then the streetglide . MYTH is BUSTED

I don't really think it's a myth,when various riders (and I assume, riders of varying experience) have experienced issues in the wind. I bought my first scooter when I was 13, and that's some 43 years ago, so I have a little experience and more than a few miles on two wheels.

It's interesting to think a one-time deal, riding a Street Glide for a week, versus all the people who've experienced solid-wheel-in-the-wind issues would prompt you to say "Myth Is Busted". I don't really find it to be a myth, just something I choose to deal with say, as opposed to changing out the solid wheel for some other option.

I guess, it's all about perspective!

Last edited:
Back