free website stats program Fatboy opinions | Harley Davidson Forums

Fatboy opinions

champer196

Ok I am going to go from an 02 Superglide to something else. Wanting something a little bigger for the wife and I to ride together. The superglide is just to small for the both of us.

I have found an 05 Fatboy at an amazing price. Originally I was looking at Heritage softails. How will this Fatboy compare and what are your opinions about it for a bike to take some trips (1 person) on as well? Is it going to be as smooth as the Superglide?

If it's truly an "amazing price" then get it and be done with it. It's just a Heritage without the shield and bags so ride should be identical and you can add detachable versions of those items if you want. Lots of people do some serious touring on Softails, however, if that touring is going to be 2 up, it's not as comfortable for your passenger. You said solo so that shouldn't be a problem but something to consider for the future.

Thanks for the reply. It has a detachable windshield on it. The only thing I would add is bags and a rear luggage rack. Its an 05 with 5K miles on it. Has alot of extra chrome and goodies on it for 12K. Perfect condition.

Two up riding would only be for short "day" trips of 200 or so miles or less. I am seriously considering it.

I haven't riden on the Fat Boy but have buddies who own them. Just did a 1400 ride. 5 of the 10 bikes on the ride were Fat Boys. Only one of the Fat Boys rode 2 up but I know the pax has riden a bunch of miles on the back of that bike. She (the pax) has added one of the aftermarket pads/cushions for the long rides.

I haven't been on here in quite a while due to riding my new ride everywhere. I didn't get the 05 Fatboy instead I found an 06 Fatboy with the same miles and more stuff on it. Anyway, I really love this bike. I got it July 17th and one month later took off on a 6 day 2200 mile ride. It performed absolutely flawless and was everything I expected and more. Much more comfortable than the Superglide was but I do notice just a tad more vibration due to the engine not being rubber mounted like the Superglide was but it is very, very minimal. Went from Topeka KS to Moab Utah via around Colorado some and back. I did add a Stage one kit to it and was very glad I did. It makes passing other vehicles so much nicer.

Fatboys rule! that is the truth, it's the classic "bad [EDIT] " bike,big, fat, disc wheels and stripped... but the bike is not meant for long trips,as smitty said, saddlebags carry nothing, they're useless unless ur only taking underwear and planning to wear the same clothes all the trip, otherwise they won't carry anything else, but since ur planning on riding solo,I'd tell uto take advantage of the entire rear fender for extra luggage capabilities and forget of a passenger seat, but touring bikes are made for touring and they're such a sweet smooth ride

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Smitty...your spot on...I have a 97 Ultra, had it since new and an 08 Fatboy...no comparison between the two.
Ultra, ride it all day with no problem comfort plus but get a little tied after a long day in the saddle as one would.
Fatboy, first ride was a disapointment...the seat was hard as a rock and hard on the the legs...but that could be due to my short legs...since then I have customized it to suit myself and now its spot on and I am over the moon with it...great bike.

:)

I spent 6 days on it (the new fatboy) and had plenty of room for all my clothes and then some. Actually carried too much stuff and didn't even have the bags on it. You guys must carry the kitchen sink too.

Ive got an 09 Heritage with Fat Boy bars,take bags off,its a Fat Boy only with a more comfortable seat,best of both worlds....Love it!!!!

Back