free website stats program fatboy is backfiring | Harley Davidson Forums

fatboy is backfiring

tucks

I have a 92 fatboy it hadnt been statred for a month or so i went to start it and it backfired with flames coming out the exhaust any ideas what it could be?
thankyou

Sounds like it's a bit loaded up on fuel in the exhaust. May need a warm up and some servicing. Was it running right before you stored it? What did you do to it before storing it in the way of stabil in the fuel etc?

Also, check your vin for recalls, if you carb has 3sided fuel inlet valve it has to be changed to 4sided one or the carb keeps overflowing.

I have a 92 fatboy it hadnt been statred for a month or so i went to start it and it backfired with flames coming out the exhaust any ideas what it could be?
thankyou

Not familar with the fatboy but -would yours be carbed or F.I. ,does it have a fuel petcock and if so was it shut off, what octane of fuel are you running in it, before you quit riding it what kind of "last ride" did you do -short around the block or a fairly long ride??????? Have you changed the plugs or anything else?

it was running fine before i stored it i changed the fuel this morning it started then i tried it again and it backfired again

it will be hard to run it cos it wont start its just a loud bang all the time im stuck

Last edited by a moderator:
Check and see if it is getting fuel to the carb. See if you get a squirt from the accelerator pump when you twist the throttle.

thankyou

I have a '91 EVO. Month is not that long. Since you have changed your fuel in the tank, drop the float bowl to make sure it is OK in there. Catch the gas you drain out before you drop the bowl and see what's in it.

When you drained your tank, did you unscrew the tank fuel valve and see how much crap is on the screen? If not, you might do that part again. Mine got so bad I replace the whole valve assy with a Pingel Power Flo.

I you still have an OEM VOES, make sure the hose is OK from the carb to the switch. Better, just replace it.

If none of that helps, start looking for air/exhaust leaks on the intake side and exhaust side. You should find some pointers in self help.

TQ

Back