free website stats program Fatboy handling | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fatboy handling

Thanks for all the responses. I'm planning to wait until July and see if there's anything special that comes out on the 2010 Fatboy. Once I know what's in store with the 2010's I plan to rent a Fatboy and a RK Classic, then decide from there. I've always been a big fan of the Fatboy but the RK is tugging at me too. I think, hope anyway, that spending a day on both of them will help. I usually do an equal amount of time buzzing around town as out on day trips, so it's a hard choice between the two. I guess my biggest concern is getting 3 or 4 hundred miles down the road and then finding out I bought the wrong bike. Anyway, thanks for posting.

The fatboy is a fine ride, and I love it around town. But if I'm going on a serious ride, I'll take my EGC every time.

I have an 06 fatboy and i have never ever had an problem on corners. This sound very strang to me.

You have a wide range between those two bikes. The RK is a touring bike while not dress out it is a touring frame. The FB is a softail while I know weekend trips can be run on a FB I have done it many times, it is not a touring bike. Choosing between a FB and a RK id like choosing between day or night.
It will take more than a test ride to short that out, you need to figure out how you will use the bike most of the time.
No madder what HD you jump on and test ride it will tug at your heart.

You're right about either one tugging at my heart. That's why I'm taking my time. This will be my third Harley so I know a Sporty or Dyna is out of the question. These days I'm more interested in long rides with the occasional buzzing around town.

Hi, I ride an 04 Fatboy with Dunlops fitted, it can be a bit wobbly when the front pressure isn't right, but I can honestly say that it handles really well, it just needs commitment in the turns and sometimes strange lines through the curves is the way to go!
It has stock shocks and ride height, I run the pressures at 36 psi front and rear.

I think my 2001 Fatty cornered alittle better than my 08 but I think thats because of the change in rear tire size. I agree with most on this that it does handle fine though. There is a huge difference between the RK and the FB. Ride em both before you decide.

Where might I find these videos of the police handling there bikes? I wouldn't mind trying them myself.

I'm on my 3rd fatty, pics are posted on this site of my current 02 fatboy. I think it handles great. Face it, some people ride for years but never learn how to handle a good sized bike,, I reccomend they watch some Police Bike handling techniques and practice them. I can turn my bike around in small radious scrapping the boards in either direction at 5 mph. It is low,, so common sence will dictate your curve speed while riding, once you learn the bike you can keep board scrapes to a very minimum. Weight shifts from the handle bars, not the seat. If you pay attention you will find that pushing the left handle bar grip forward shifts the bikes weight to the right, setting up a smooth right hand turn with no saddle or body weight leaning. Once the weight offsets you simply head into the weight with your turn,, always turn your head in the direction you want to go,,, and look at it, you bike goes where you look. It is a great bike, this would not be my third if I had to compromise.

I know you don't want to hear from any other riders other than Fatty riders, but, I have a Heritage and there really isn't a whole lot of difference in the two other than the wheels that I know of. I like the way my bike handles. Just gotta keep in mind that its a big @$$ heavy bike with fat tires. Its going to be a bit different than other bikes.

I gotta mention.. when I read the post about "pucker-factor" when scrapping the boards I had to burst out laughing! I can totally remember the first few times when I scraped my boards. Talk about Pucker-Factor!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a 98 Fatboy and I love the cornering both fast and slow, I can ride the zipper, outer edge you pick a spot and it sticks like glue.

I have an 05 fb and think it handles great in turns for a heavy bike, and as far as wobble mine does wobble a little at about 105, I assumed that is due to rubber bushings in the swingarm but could be way off on that.

Hello Smitty901. I am currently 11B in Afghan. I just ordered up a 2010 FB. This is my first Harley, expected to see it when I return in Sept. Just wanted to say HI, to a fellow groundpounder, and am eager to learn and see any news on the 2010's. I just joined this site, to learn as much as I can before I get home. Thanks again !!

Back