free website stats program Fatboy for my first ride? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fatboy for my first ride?

I would disagree with:
I agree a riding course is a good thing but can only assume most of the people who highly recomend them are eighther under 6ft. or never actualy tried to ride a Rebel 250.At 6ft. its kinda like a monkey and a football scenario

I'm 6 foot (180lbs) and whlie the 250s are not made for tall people they are not that bad for a few hours of slow speed manuevering to get you the gist of riding. I personally preffered learning on this, knowing one that the bike was light and easy to catch if I made an oops and two that if I made an oops, oh well, don't care and nor do the instructors.

I say go for the bike you want and just take it slow, easier then buying and bike you will want to get rid of shortly then deal with selling that and looking for your true love :)

I'm almost hesitant to disagree,but am willing to cop any vitriol dished out.

Totally agree with all suggestions about taking riding courses and advanced training.However,i think you should buy a smaller bike and use that to gain experience.A large trail bike or a mid weight road bike.You dont have to keep it forever,just long enough to prove that motorcycling is for you and you'll feel much more secure on a far lighter bike.As you've not ridden before,this is a sensible option.

By all means buy yourself a Fatboy,or buy whatever you want(or can afford),but only after YOU feel competent in what you're doing.You are at your greatest risk in your first 12 months.

Ride safe.

i was basing my response on the assumption that he wanted a Harley, in which case smaller means Sportster which is no more of a beginner bike than a Fatboy, IMHO. Otherwise, I totally agree about getting something small to medium, probably used to ride for 6 months or so to get your feet wet.

You are going to hear many opinions as responses to you post. Some will say "go for it" and some will say take it slow and grow into it (the Fatboy). Only you can make that decision. Most everyone else here is ALREADY riding.

So my opinion: take the riders course. Evaluate how you feel about you ability after the course. THEN RENT. Many dealerships around the country will rent bikes and make you buy their full insurance when you do. It is not cheap, but cheaper than making a mistake once you have shelled out a lot of pesos. Rent several different types of bikes - Sportsters, Dynas, Springers, soft tails, RKs and EG. That way you will have something to really compare from.

Once you feel YOU are ready, by all means "go for it".

TQ

Another option that's a lot less expensive if you can locate one is to go to a Harley Demo Day and ride several models back to back.

Only comment I'd have is you are probably getting a biased opinion here since everyone that is commenting probably 1) has a bike, and 2) loves riding bikes. What if it turns out that riding isn't what you thought it'd be after you make the investment? I've had bikes since I was 11, loved it from the start, and always knew I'd end up with a Harley. One of my buddies saw how much I enjoyed it, bought one, used it for less than 6 months and sold it for a loss. If that is a possibility for you, I'd consider some of the other options already suggested. As for your size, I'm 6'1" and 220 and the bike shouldn't feel too big to you. I took my floorboards off and put on forward controls because I actually felt cramped on mine, so I'd say if you are confident it is a long term commitment and not something you may not stick with, go for it.

I am 5'11, 170 to 175 pounds; depending on the time of day. My fatboy fits me just fine.
I do agree with Smitty that you should at least look at the Haritage. By the time I get all that I want on my FB, I probably could have got the Haritage for less money with everything on it already. Good luck

TQ has it... rent first who knows maybe you would like the sportster better the the FB? Doesn't matter just get riding!!!

Oh yeah and take the rider course FIRST like most do...you'll learn A LOT!

Some may disagree but in my opinion if you treat it with respect a fatboy would probably be easier for you to ride than a sportster . For some reason I here a lot of people say that a sporty is a good bginner bike but the fatboy has a lower center of gravity , take the coarse , get the bike that you want and ride it . As your skill level comes up you'll be glad you bought the bike that that youve been drooling over good luck and have fun

New the to board here, so advice is worth what was paid for it... but I couldn't agree more with the Demo Days suggestion. I'm pretty close to your same size (5'11" and 205 lbs), thought I was going to get the Heritiage but rode several demo models and it was immeditally clear that the Fatboy felt the best to me (first HD for me and first bike in 7 years) - of course you'll need the course and your license endorsement first (although I was changing my mind just from sitting on the different models in the showroom).

I Started Out On Sporster, And Moved To Fatboy After About 1 Yr. I Wish I Would Have Just Started On Fatboy. Itwas Easier To Ride Better Balance. I Was 5o 160 Lbs 5'5". Fatboy Great Pic....

I had not been on a bike in 25 years and bought a 04 FatBoy this summer and have loved every minute of ride time since. I am 56 years old, 6' tall, and weigh in at 220 lbs. and I can handle/muscle it fine. I am on the bike everyday the weather is fit (and some days when I ignore the weatherman). If you like the FatBoy, buy the FatBoy, you will not be sorry. :newsmile106:

I would tell you to get a used sportster or something pre-owned that you can learn on that way you can enjoy the ridding not worrying about the bike. The last thing you would want to do is drop a new Fatboy

Back