free website stats program fatboy eating starters | Harley Davidson Forums

fatboy eating starters

I purchased a 1997 FLSTF Fatboy in March 2008. It only had 12,000 miles on it and is a beautiful bike. My problems started in May when the starter went out. It would turn but not engage into the flywheel. I purchased a new starter at my local dealer ($350) and installed it myself. It worked perfectly until about 3 days ago. It started making funny noises when I tried to start the bike. It sounded like it wasn't engaging but would eventually turn the engine over. But yesterday it stopped turning the engine. It still spins but doesn't engage the engine. Is there a trick to installing these starters that I don't know or is this an inherent problem with these bikes. I can't afford $350 every 6 weeks for a new starter. Please put your thinking caps on and help me out.

Sounds more like a starter drive problem (inside the primary) than the starter. Did you use the original starter drive on the new starter?

Sounds more like a starter drive problem (inside the primary) than the starter. Did you use the original starter drive on the new starter?
yes I used the original gear. I've since removed the starter and upon bench testing I found the starter turns but the gear doesn't, or it turns and I an stop it with my hand.

Back