free website stats program Fatboy - A hard ride? | Harley Davidson Forums

Fatboy - A hard ride?

Cruiser4

I have a real issue right now, and that's getting my partner to climb back on board.

Spec: 2007 Fatboy with Saddleman touring seat and HD sissy bar.

For 12 months or more I've been waiting for the right time to ride to the ring of Kerry in Ireland from Staffordshire England on my Fatboy, this being my first real trip on a Harley. Kids taken care of, cat with next door neighbour, overnight stops pre-booked and we finally set off towards the end of August. On the trip out there I didn’t really notice a problem, but on day 2 my partner complained that every time we hit a bump on the road it was jolting her back. On day 3 she was finding it difficult to walk from the pain in her back and I too started to feel every little bump and fault in the road. Eventually I became so paranoid looking for every imperfection in the road, I started to miss some of the wonderful views and surroundings. Now I don’t think the Irish are famous for laying the black stuff, but I didn’t particularly feel that the roads were any worse than those back home? - So my question: is there a quick check or test you can do on your bike to tell whether your shock absorbers are doing what they should do?
Sorry for the long intro guys!
:(

With 2 up on a softail, the shocks aren't the best setup in the world. You can raise the rear to give you more shock travel (by shortening the shocks) with an adjustment on the shocks . It may help being they are set down the middle of the road from the factory but I think I can see a road king in your future if you want to keep the other half happy. Why not go rent one for a day ? :D

Thanks guys, I think I'll purchase the tool at the weekend and try adjusting to see if that helps? The Roadkings a nice looking bike Glider, but i'm still on my honeymoon with the Fatboy - :bigsmiley16:

Cruiser4, one other thing, can you approximate the individual weights of the rider, passenger and your gear? Was it reasonably concentrated near the center of the bike. Is the chassis setup and shocks factory original as well as the stock suspension settings setup for solo rider or two up?

Here goes: I weigh approx 190 pounds, my partner won't tell me her weight but i'd guess around 150 -160 pounds (and looking good might I add, .........might be watching??), gear around 50 pounds, the Saddleman seat pushes me forward 3 inches away from stock position and passenger, chassis and shocks are factory original and i'm not sure about the settings because i've never touched them and wouldn't know what was solo or two up? is there a measurement against the thread or something? Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
No real measurement but they usually come from the factory set about in the middle of the adjustment.

You will have to tighten up those shocks for sure with all that weight. It has to be bottoming out all over the place but you didn't mention that it was.

I am having the opposite problem... thinking I need to move up a little and really like the Street Glide... every time I take one for a trail run and it really rides good. Then I get back on my Fatboy and man does it ride and feels good....

Back