free website stats program Fatboy 1000 mile service | Harley Davidson Forums

Fatboy 1000 mile service

HOLY DIVER

So I have never taken any of my bikes to a dealer for a service,but I'm thinking of having my 1000 mile service done at the dealer mainly because I'm not sure what all has to be done to new bike at 1000 miles. Thoughts ? Suggestions ? When i serviced my old bikes I changed fluids and filter,adjusted the clutch,lubed the cables,set the air pressure/inspected the tires,replaced the air filter (once a year) is that pretty much what the dealer is going to do and charge me $300 or is there much more to be done than what I do?
WAP.gif

You can go on Surdyke Harley website they have all the info you need for your 1000 mile service I believe there are 15 different checks to make or buy a service manual...good luck

Save the $300 and buy a service manual. It will tell you what the checks are. You've likely done it all before....

The 1000 mile check list is in the back of your owners manual, keep ALL your receipts if you do your own work:s This is the same list the dealer will use. I have watched them do a 1K service, not real impressed. They schedule them charge a lot of money and sail thru them in about 1 hour, I say do your own and save the dough for some goodies

Jack the only thing I've never done before is the neck bearing adjustment that's the only one I'm kinda worried about doing
WAP.gif

With the manual, lift and some spare time. You can do it. You also need to change your "ride" under your screen name. :)

Jack the only thing I've never done before is the neck bearing adjustment that's the only one I'm kinda worried about doing
WAP.gif

I woud no worry about the neck bearing adjustment unless you are seeing symptoms that would indicate it needs adjusting. The dealership will not check it per the manual anyway. They will raise the front wheel, do a quick "fall away" check and call it good. To do it correctly, cables should be disconnected so the front end can rotate unencumbered but that takes too much time.

If the dealer does the service, you will be lucky if you get the bike back with oil in the tank.:newsmile091: Get the service manual and "bond" with your bike.

I woud no worry about the neck bearing adjustment unless you are seeing symptoms that would indicate it needs adjusting. The dealership will not check it per the manual anyway. They will raise the front wheel, do a quick "fall away" check and call it good. To do it correctly, cables should be disconnected so the front end can rotate unencumbered but that takes too much time.

If the dealer does the service, you will be lucky if you get the bike back with oil in the tank.:newsmile091: Get the service manual and "bond" with your bike.

Words of wisdom here, I have watched techs stumble thru a 1K in about an hour, they schedule so many a day to keep the techs busy

Back