Fat Boy Mystery

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by chip843, Mar 22, 2011.

1. chip843

chip843 New Member

I have a 2004 Fat Boy and all of a sudden after riding 2-3 miles it wil just die.By that I mean I will lose all electrical power, all guages, light etc.The bike will coast to a stop and by then guages will come back on, if I try to start it then nothing happens. I wait maybe 4-5 minutes then it will start and last another 2-3 miles. I stopped by the Harley shop and a service advisor said it could be the fuel regulator. I scatched my head on that one since I dont understand how that could cause the electrical to go out. So Iam asking for any help you can throw my way.

2. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

First point to check would be the battery cables are clean and tight at both ends of the cables so remove them clean with a wire brush both on the cables and where they mount to
    and re fit them
    always remove the - terminal first and replace last

Brian

3. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Sounds like a bad self reset-able circuit breaker. Check the schematics for placement of the Main CB. I would convert it to a Maxi Fuse if it was my bike. Those CB's are not the best choice for electrical protection. Those CB's put several HD mechanics kids through college I am sure....

4. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I agree with Hoop here. "Resettable" being the key word.

Bodeen