Fat Bob Clutch Noise

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Biker Daddio, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Biker Daddio

Biker Daddio New Member

Hi everyone. I'm a new member with a possible problem. I have a FXDF Dyna Fat Bob. 1 year old with 2,500miles on it. Just recently, it's making a whirring sound under acceleration and decel. Noise goes away if i pull the clutch in.

The engine is stock. Stage 1 upgrade on pipes, SE Air Cleaner and Dobek tuner. Primary oil changed at 1,500miles with HD recommended oil.
    Any advice will be appreciated
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

You should have the self adjuster for the primary chain but sometimes they get lazy.

Give this a try and if it doesn't work, you should take it back to the dealer under warranty.

TC Engine Noise - Harley Davidson Community

3. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Like Glider said for the self-adjuster.

On the "HD recommended oil" for the primary, engine and tranny - you may be using SYN3 in all of these applications. You will find a significant amount of discussion about lubricants for these applications here at HDTalking. In a nut shell however, you will probably get a majority recommending the following:

Engine: Premium quality full synthetic 20W-50 oil - i.e., Mobil1 VTwin 20W-50, Amsoil 20W-50 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil

Transmission (6-spd): Premium quality full synthetic 75W-90 or 75W-140 GEAR lube at least GL-1 - i.e., Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil, Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube, Royal Purple Max-Gear, Redline

Primary Chaincase: Non-synthetic chaincase oil: HD Formula Plus, Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil

See here:

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

TQ