free website stats program Fasteners. Do you take care of them? | Harley Davidson Forums

Fasteners. Do you take care of them?

I check them every service, and before I go on run I wipe the bike down good and you'll be suprised what you might find loose while going over her with some wax and a towel. I also make a point of checking air pressure in the tires once a month. It's part of our bonding time, just like riding.

Having previously owned a 75 trumph bonnie it would shake its self to bits
i remember once doing a constant speed up the motorway and seeing a mirror fall off 2 miles later the other one went
stopped at the next services and found the engine mount bolts loose
i quickly got into the habit of regular checking of all parts
the time spent while having a fag and wandering round the bike checking is never wasted time

Brian

i just checked my exhaust bolts and found that they were a little loose. I guess I should check all the nuts and bolts to make sure nothing else is.

Critical fasteners need to be checked in the manner and at the intervals specified in the service manual.

Everything else can be spot checked when you're cleaning the bike. You're pretty much running a sponge or cloth over every inch of the bike anyway so just grab and twist to be sure nothing has come grossly loose.

Of course, if you don't wash your bike, you'll have to make it a point to do a total bike inspection once a month or so.

One more vote for good check out at service time, and routing check before rides, including tire pressure.

Thats why they call them The Milwaukee vibrator LOL got to do routine checks exhaust nuts seem to be a big problem:)

Back