free website stats program Far eastern Colorado | Harley Davidson Forums

Far eastern Colorado

flipper

Account Removed
Just wondering if it would be better to go up the far eastern side of Colorado on the way to Sturgis rather than going up through the middle of Kansas and western Nebraska. Eastern Colorado appears to be just as flat and the same scenery as Kansas from the pictures I've seen. Nothing against Kansas at all, but I just wondered if Colorado was any different......

You'd have to get west of Pueblo/Colorado Springs/Denver/Ft Collins to get any significant scenery that differs from Kansas/Nebraska. Adds time to the trip but well worth it if you're flexible!

If you decide to go by way of Denver your going to be at 5400 feet above sea level. FI bikes have no issues with the altitude. I'd suggest hwy 25, good road and a beautiful ride along the Mt's. to your west. You'll pass by one of the highest mt peeks (Pikes peek) near Colorado Springs.

Thanks y'all. I believe if we veered that far over to the west it would keep us from arriving at our destination at the time our reservations are for, but it would be scenic for sure. I've been all over the central and western 2/3 of Colorado, but never the eastern part. I reckon we will just stick to our original plan and save Colorado for the next trip I already have planned. Thanks again!:bigsmiley14:

Eastern Colorado looks just like Kansas and Nebraska. You need to get to I-25 to at least see some mountains.

Sounds like you are considering 287 out of Texas and becomes US 40 / 287 at Kit Carson CO. This is one of the 4 (I believe) North /South Truck routes from Mexico and Canada. So lots and Lots of trucks...

Sounds like you are considering 287 out of Texas and becomes US 40 / 287 at Kit Carson CO. This is one of the 4 (I believe) North /South Truck routes from Mexico and Canada. So lots and Lots of trucks...

Yep, I was, but after reading the responses here, I think we will just stick to going north on 283 from Vernon, TX. We will just be satisfied to wait until we get to South Dakota for scenery. It really doesn't matter to me. I'm just so excited about this trip and having some time off and getting to spend it on my bike. It's really going to be an experience. I got to visit the entire Badlands/Black Hills area of South Dakota and Wyoming when I was a little girl, but not on a bike and not during the rally...... Taking 5 cameras:)

Yep, I was, but after reading the responses here, I think we will just stick to going north on 283 from Vernon, TX. We will just be satisfied to wait until we get to South Dakota for scenery. It really doesn't matter to me. I'm just so excited about this trip and having some time off and getting to spend it on my bike. It's really going to be an experience. I got to visit the entire Badlands/Black Hills area of South Dakota and Wyoming when I was a little girl, but not on a bike and not during the rally...... Taking 5 cameras:)
If you have the time while your there take a ride out to Devils tower in Wyoming, it's a nice ride and a cool site to see.

If you have the time while your there take a ride out to Devils tower in Wyoming, it's a nice ride and a cool site to see.

Jeff, I have a road trip planned to go there. Gonna go from Custer up to Deadwood, Spearfish Canyon to Bell Fourche and up to Alzada, MT (just to say we've been to MT), down to Devils Tower, on to Sundance (HD) and back to Custer. Another day seeing Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, Iron Mountain Road, the wildlife loop, and Needles Highway. Another day up to Rapid City, to Wall, down through the Badlands and back to Custer. And then...... Sturgis before heading home.

Jeff, I have a road trip planned to go there. Gonna go from Custer up to Deadwood, Spearfish Canyon to Bell Fourche and up to Alzada, MT (just to say we've been to MT), down to Devils Tower, on to Sundance (HD) and back to Custer. Another day seeing Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, Iron Mountain Road, the wildlife loop, and Needles Highway. Another day up to Rapid City, to Wall, down through the Badlands and back to Custer. And then...... Sturgis before heading home.
Sounds like you have it all covered, have a fun and safe trip. Not sure yet if I'm going to make it this year, trying to convince Jack to ride my way and then head up.

Back