free website stats program Fall asleep while riding?! | Harley Davidson Forums

Fall asleep while riding?!

SportyHawg

The first time I overheard someone talking about falling asleep while riding a motorcycle, I couldn't believe my ears. I've heard it again from a different fellow, talking about a marathon ride from Ohio to Texas in 21 hours. He fell asleep and woke up still riding!

Anyone else been lulled to sleep by their ride?

I know of a guy that did fall asleep while riding on I-94 btween Miles City Montana and Glendive Montana. I know it is true because he survived the accident and awoke as he was going into the ditch. Hard to imagine, but it happens.:newsmile030:

A few years back I started getting to a degree, drowsy while riding. NOT GOOD! I really didn't have an accident. or fall asleep for that matter, but if faced with making an emergency controlled stop, it may have been hard to do. This drowsiness stemmed from obesity/diabetes. I'm nearly certain I was having spells of high blood sugar. That riding season I curtailed my riding a bit.

After bariatric surgery and going from a 55 inch to a 36 inches waist. The drowsiness while riding just "went away". As did high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholestral, and sleep apnea. All gone....(still ugly).

With all of that being said, I am a slimmer riding fool!:)
softail-pick-up-2.jpg

Touring pillion riders fall asleep ALL the time...solo riders not nearly as often, but certainly many go thru the "zone" of semi-conscious light sleep. Happened to me once...similar circumstances to Hobbit...bright warm sunny day, just tired from a long ride the previous day. To this day, if I am tired...I pull over and rest, no need to push a bad situation.

In 1976 I was riding my Super Glide from Melbourne, FL to New Orleans. I had been up all day and left at midnight. That morning I was going west when I dozed off. When I woke up I was on a bridge. That kept me awake to New Orleans. I was taking my 1975 FXE to New Orleans to ship to my new base at Torrejon, Spain SAFB near Madrid. I loved it. Fossil

Man, pull over! get a cup of java,energy drink, take a nap,get a room, what ever it takes...like playing Russian Roulet.....

I don't ride that hard much anymore. If I get tired I really enjoy finding someplace to pull off for a quick nap. I'll park the bike sit down and lean up against it. After 20-30 minutes I'm usually good.

I never fell a sleep on the bike but when I was in my twenties I remember doing this in my car a few times. It was one of the scariest things ever and helped me stay awake for the rest of the ride home.

My friend dozed off while on a long ride to Florida a couple of years ago. As luck would have it, he was on Interstate and when he dropped off the edge of the pavement, he woke up. The road was well maintained, so there was not much of a drop off and he was able to bring it back on without dropping it. :small3d007: Since then, we always take plenty of coffee breaks.

Touring pillion riders fall asleep ALL the time...solo riders not nearly as often, but certainly many go thru the "zone" of semi-conscious light sleep. Happened to me once...similar circumstances to Hobbit...bright warm sunny day, just tired from a long ride the previous day. To this day, if I am tired...I pull over and rest, no need to push a bad situation.

My wife fell asleep on a trip to Arkansas....something she said she would NEVER DO. :p

Back