free website stats program Fairing paint | Harley Davidson Forums

Fairing paint

Mavagrand

The fairing on my 08 vivid black FLHTC has these tiny white spots all over it. I washed and waxed the bike yesterday and noticed them. They are everywhere on the fairing but no where else on the bike. They appear to be underneath the clearcoat as I tried to scrape them with my fingernail and nothing happened. I also used a clay bar to no avail. Also they're only visible in certain lighting conditions, you can't see them in bright sun but you can in shade. It almost looks environmental except it seems to be underneath the clearcoat.

Any ideas? Did the MoCo have any issues with paint for MY 08?
It's out of warranty so, as long as it doesn't get worse will just deal with it.

I can tell you this from experience. On the day I took delivery of my 08 where the dealer had it parked my bike, I mentioned to the service manager if this bike was painted in a driveway, just kidding him. The MOCO rep happened to be there that day, he checked it and ordered a new tank and outer fairing. He could not say for sure but up to a certain date the MOCO seemed to have a issue with paint. Especially black.

I can tell you this from experience. On the day I took delivery of my 08 where the dealer had it parked my bike, I mentioned to the service manager if this bike was painted in a driveway, just kidding him. The MOCO rep happened to be there that day, he checked it and ordered a new tank and outer fairing. He could not say for sure but up to a certain date the MOCO seemed to have a issue with paint. Especially black.

It's a good thing you said what was on your mind and the rep was in earshot. Just imagine if you didn't say anything. You never would have gotten that paint job on the tank & fairing!

What's the build date of your bike??

That's what I was thinking (small rock chips w/wax inside), but dbmg brings up a good point on his paint imperfections fm factory so now I'm not sure...

My guess is that the tiny white spots are stone chips on the suface of the clearcoat.Not a defect.If you have a teenage daughter or grand daughter get her to run her fingertips over the fairing to feel for any small imperfections,as our more grisled fingers won't feel it. If she feels them wet sand the fairing with 1200 grit gently,then 3000 grit.Then some rubbing compound.When you have it back to the gloss you want apply a coat or two of liquid glass polish.This will protect it and maintain the shine.

Liquid Glass Polish - Total Auto Appearance System
Thanks Steve. As if I don't have enough waxes already! :p it looks like I might give this a try!! It has gotten some great reviews.

Back