free website stats program Fairing Help!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Fairing Help!!

BuddyK

I was changing the wind shield on my '04 EG and noticed the middle brass threaded insert in the fairing was pulled over half way out. This is the one that holds the wind shield center screw. Anyone know how to fix this or replace the insert??
Thanks

Dealer has replacement slugs for fairing. Might want to change all of the slugs while you are at it...... Over tightening usually causes this.

When replacing the nuts, put some epoxy or loctite on them:s

I had one pulling out and turning with the screw on my '07. I gave it a liberal dose of super glue and pushed it back in. It's held for 3 years and many windshield changes. Don't over tighten.

Jack; Been a while, but we can still post at the same time!

Last edited:
I had same problem stripped the backside of the fairing (instrument side) and cross threaded the brass fitting because I was impatient ...NOT good.
I used a plastic filler in the hole then tapped the holes to fit the brass plug.
Good luck and DO NOT over tighten!!

Next time I have to take off fairing I'll have to replace the entire fairing backside.
Not a happy camper about that.

I have removed the headlight since I screwed the fairing to get to the harness I needed to keep the cruise lamps on all the time and add an aftermarket iPod player.

Again... Good luck, take your time and don't over tighten the brass plugs.

Thanks for all the help. I guess over tightening them caused it. Seems very easy to do. I will try to repair tomorrow. :)

Back