free website stats program Fairing Accent Trim | Harley Davidson Forums

Fairing Accent Trim

BDC 21

Anyone tried removing the LED's from one of the fairing accent trim units for powder coating? They are potted in the trim piece and it looks like you could cut them out but not sure what to repot them with.

Want one in black and of course they only offer them in chrome.

OK so I tried removing the lights and got them out but it seems I damaged a couple of the light strips. I've serched for replacement light boards on line and at the dealers but can't seem to locate anyone who knows where to get them.

Looking for help from the fellow members. Anyone know where I can get boards like the ones in the pictures?

Attachments

• 020411 019.jpg
    020411 019.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 020411 021.jpg
    020411 021.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 23
  • 020411 024.jpg
    020411 024.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 22
Pulled this project out from under the workbench this week. Still looking for a way to get the lights repaired. Anyone have a buddy that works in the parts department at a dealership? There has to be a way to send my powdercoated housing back to the company that build these lights for Harley and get it repaired. I'm just looking for a way to find out who makes these so I can contact them.

Get a magnifying glass and check that printed circuit board. Could be some hairline cracks. You got nothing to loose

It's the illuminated windshield trim in the picture. The part that mounts with the three screws that hold the windshield in place. I can flex the boards a little and some of the lights will come back on but I'm not sure how I could get into the boards to without breaking more contacts.

Seems like there has to be a place that can repair the unit if I can get lucky and find a phone number or web site.

Thanks for taking a look.

It sounds like if you flex the boards and they light up you have cracked some of the solder. If you can determine with a magnifier where and have a small tip soldering iron you might be able to repair it yourself.

I got a tip last week for repairing a printer formatter board that was to put it in an oven at 200 degrees centigrade for 5 minutes that would melt all the solder sufficiently to re seat it
Put the board on greaseproof paper with the component side up
My boss didn't think his mum would allow her oven to be used for that so he had to buy a replacement formatter as the printer was on a maintenance contract
as a last resort it may be worth a try

Brian

Good idea on trying to melt the contacts back together. Only concern I have is on the LED's holding up to 390 F temp for 5 minutes. I'm taking them to someone to look at this week and if they can't fix them it will be oven time.

Back