free website stats program Failed lifters | Harley Davidson Forums

Failed lifters

jlbeebe

Just got my heritage back. The rollers on my lifters failed and scuffed the cam lobes. I brought the bike in because I could hear squealing that I had not heard before. After a cam and lifter replacement it runs fine. Just can't figure what caused this.mechanic said he had this same problem before and the only thing we had in common was we were both running mobile 1 vtwin.
This may be coincidental as I am running a cam with high lift and maybe the stock lifters couldn't take the extra pressure.
WAP.gif

A little more info might help. Which cam are you running and did it require that the valve springs be swapped out? What pushrods are you running and can you give us the adjustment procedure you used? All things mechanical can fail, but the more info you can give us on the mods you have made the easier it will be for the members to help. I doubt that the oil caused your problem.

My mechanic didn't blame the oil either. He believes that the lifters I had wouldn't handle the extra cam lift and pressure of the big springs I'm running. I'm using a woods tw400-6 cam with .650 lift and screamin eagle 110+ heads. I'm now running a tw400-6 cam with woods lifters.

Yes, I just wish I had went with the woods lifters the first time. Would have saved me some money.

What Brand Lifters did you use that went Bad?

I would have suggest Delphi or SnS Standards for replacements, might have saved a few $$$.. Both of the mentioned lifters have shown good results...:s

signed....BUBBIE

HD has had many lifter problems since they went to "hencho en Mexico". I think they are up to revision C, and they are better. I went with a different brand when I replaced cams.

Back