free website stats program EZ Pull Clutch is in but..... | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

EZ Pull Clutch is in but.....

Did you take the clutch rod out? Do any thing with the throw out bearing in the right side transmission cover? Every one has great ideas to check. My personal experience is that some thing is wrong with the adjustmen rod or throw out bearing. Fossil

Fossil,
I didn't do anything with the throw out bearing and I did take out the clutch rod but it appeared fine. All was working up to specs before I took her apart so I didn't think the bearing would be the problem. All I replaced (besides adding the EZ clutch kit) was the retaining ring that holds the releasing plate in place. It's odd, the ring only came off when I adjusted the screw a considerable way (not all the way) in - and, it only came off two of the many times I did this. Plus, I actually tried adjusting the screw even farther in (trying to test the retaining ring) and that time (of course) it didn't come off. :dknow

I opted to replace the ring, just because when I wasn't expecting it (i.e. not causing the releasing plate to really push against it), it came off, twice. It looked fine, it didn't appear to shift in position and was within the space it was suppose to occupy; However, I didn't :no want an iffy situation where I couldn't easily get to it. Initally, I went to Napa Auto, they had similar rings but not quite the same. Eventually, I got one from a Harley Dealorship. :newsmile093:

The new one was exactly the same as the other, except the old one was slightly more closed --which made me happy :bigsmiley11:(that is until I got to putting it in -- but after, I was happy again :bigsmiley12:). I have to say, I didn't move the releasing plate in and out inorder to test this ring, but that didn't seem to work on the old ring!

With little clutch adjusting (actually, more at the cable than at the releasing plate), it's back to working great!

Hopefully, it will remain that way for quite awhile! But if not, as NEWHD74FAN said, I can, practically, take off the primary cover with my eyes closed!! :small3d029:

Thanks to Everyone, again!! :cheers

CatWoman

Last edited:
Back