free website stats program Extended warranty or 10K service | Harley Davidson Forums

Extended warranty or 10K service

dogdad

My bike was due for the 10K service. I believe the dealer charges about $425 or so. Also, my factory warranty ends on the 23rd of this month. So never have done any work on my bike,,, I was lucky enough to have a master HD tech come over and help/show me how to change all fluids , adjust the clutch, check the spokes. Also put in the Mobil 1 V-twin, HD formula 1, and the talked about Spectro 6 speed tranny oil. So this morning I 'll get to check out any difference in shifting.
Since i didn't spend $425 on a 10K service,,,now I can get a extended warranty and have a piece of mind for the next 2 years or more. I think that was a smart decision.

Some will disagree,but I think the extended warranty is a good choice,mine has paid for itself.

I agree, I have had it on my last 3 bikes and dont leave home without it, dont like surprises:s

I also have to agree, I got an additional 3 years on mine with tire and wheel coverage, I have replaced 2 fronts and 2 rears because of screws, I just found my transmission side door bolts loose and they are covering it under warranty, which saves me tearing off the whole exhaust system, pretty easy decision in my eyes.

Although I chose not to extend the warranty, if it gives you peace of mind then by all means...enjoy it. If you're not comfortable wrenching on your scoot, it's probably a good idea. Best of luck.

Steve07 has a very good point, if you have your ride since new or very near...why not. It is very easy to exceed the $1000 or so price of admission, especially if your bike is your daily driver. Craig Lee is another who has added more "BLING" on his ride and bride as well, so it pays to keep your better half happy and things in perspective...:D

Another deciding factor for me was the 100 miles between me and my closest dealer. I'm just rolling the dice and hoping for the best.

Steve07 has a very good point, if you have your ride since new or very near...why not. It is very easy to exceed the $1000 or so price of admission, especially if your bike is your daily driver. Craig Lee is another who has added more "BLING" on his ride and bride as well, so it pays to keep your better half happy and things in perspective...:D

Selling point for me was that unlimited mileage clause in the warranty. I purchased the bike as a daily driver to keep miles off my car going to and from work. I was killing the car with deprecation, but since I plan on keeping this bike until I have to buy a new one as it falls apart it just seemed like a good idea to make mechanical repairs their problem. I might have felt differently if I was cruising 3k a year, but even with not riding much during the winter I still expect to put 20k a year on the bike.

So gentle care on my part with good fluids and lots of preventative maintenance should give me a long life on the engine with them picking up the cost of any unexpected items.

My bike was due for the 10K service. I believe the dealer charges about $425 or so. Also, my factory warranty ends on the 23rd of this month. So never have done any work on my bike,,, I was lucky enough to have a master HD tech come over and help/show me how to change all fluids , adjust the clutch, check the spokes. Also put in the Mobil 1 V-twin, HD formula 1, and the talked about Spectro 6 speed tranny oil. So this morning I 'll get to check out any difference in shifting.
Since i didn't spend $425 on a 10K service,,,now I can get a extended warranty and have a piece of mind for the next 2 years or more. I think that was a smart decision.

Wife and I decided when we got married, 43 short years ago, not to buy extended warranties on anything. If the product looked like something that needed an extended warranty, we'd make a new decision on the product. We consider an extended warranty something that makes money for the seller, or else they would not be offering it.

This decision has served us well and we are way ahead on dollars, with no peace of mind issues.

The Harlot is at 38k and almost three years with no sign of needing anything but routine maintenance. I passed on the extended warranty, both at inception and at the two year mark.

Just my 2¢.

This decision has served us well and we are way ahead on dollars, with no peace of mind issues.

You mean you NEVER woke up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat worrying about anything? :bigsmiley20:

fyi, the tire and wheel have no deductable....those few tires more than paid for the warranty and I still have 3.5 years left to go

Back