free website stats program Extended Warranties | Harley Davidson Forums

Extended Warranties

Casper52

I just bought a 2014 Electra Glide Ultra Classic Ltd with 10K miles.

I'm interested to know what your thoughts are about the need for an extended warranty (non Harley brand) and any suggestions you may have.

my 2 cents.
A lot depends on how good of a mechanic you are and how much you want to be or have a place to work on your bike.
I'm on my second extended 08 softail because engine and trans I don't want to mess with. Most of the maintenance I do myself.
I don't know about non-Harley extended warranty.

Be sure you know who's gonna honor it.Do you pay,up front,for a repair,and wait for them to reimburse you?Some are like that. What's covered,how long.If I was going to buy an extended warranty,I'd get Harley's.They know what's going to be approved,without having to make a lot of calls,and have to wait for approval.

Depends on whether You want to spend a lot of money for tires.Assuming that the extended warranty covers tires.I have never bought an extended warranty for a motorcycle.My last three bikes had no problems other than tires and brakes wearing.2008 Road King 24,,000 miles,traded for, 2012 Limited 30,000 miles ,traded for ,2014 Limited 35,000 miles traded for 2017 Limited 8,000 miles so far.I believe extended warranties are a waste of money.

All good suggestions above. I bought Harley's extended warranty when I bought my 05 Ultra and it paid for it's self with 1 issue. Comp nut came loose and tore the primary inner's up and it was covered less my 50.00 dollar deductible.

I bought the extended warranty for my current bike. Added the wheels and tires to it.
Picked up a nail in the back tire, it was replaced under the warranty, dealer didn't even charge me the deductable.
Sometimes getting the extended warranty is good.
Sometimes you never use it.

I bought the Harley extended warranty with my bike (2010 RKC) and it has paid for itself twice over. Compensator, inner primary bearing, voltage regulator, inner seals, transmission, I can't even remember what else...all outside the factory warranty. I'm sad to say that I personally would never buy a new HD without the extended warranty. I have no experience with after market EXP (non-Harley), but the advice offered here seems pretty good. Like insurance, cost up front is one thing, actually getting your claim paid/honoured is another.

It's a shame that you have to buy an extended warranty on a motorcycle that costs so much in the first place!!

No one "has to buy" an extended warranty. If the bike is actually ridden in the first two years of ownership, any inherent manufacturing defects or equipment failures should surface and will be addressed. However, JMHO, but many new Harley owners don't put a lot of miles on their new bikes the first two years and, if that is the case, an extended warranty makes sense. If it takes 10K miles for defect to surface but the bike is only ridden 6K miles in the first two years, well, there you have it. A lot of new owners baby their bikes when they should be "ridden hard and put up wet" as we say in Texas.

Before I started doing a lot of international travel for my work, I would typically roll up 5K-7K miles a year; most local in the Texas hill country with one 2K mile trip a year.

My point is, ride the bike, roll up miles and if something is going to break, break it in the first two years but if you can't do that, buy the HD extended warranty. You can always sell it back at some point if you don't think you need it any longer.;)

Back