free website stats program Extend wiring for handlebars | Harley Davidson Forums

Extend wiring for handlebars

garyhdxlc

I just installed XL-L bars on my 06 XL-C. Now I need to exstend every thing cables, brake line, and wires, about 4"-6". I dont need to do the wiring for the turn signals. I know now they make color coded wires to do this. I have never done any soldering of wires befor, looks like I will now. So where is the best place on the bike to add the wires? I was thinking under the gas tank good or bad?
Thanks for any advice...

Ive done this for my Softail and yes to under the gas tank.I left myself a little slack near the front of the tank and tucked it up neatly {if left loose the vibration will chauffe the wires} my thinking was if you run into a problem with your connections on the road leaving a little extra may be just enough to allow me to pull them out and correct the problem.If youre not comfortable with soldering and heat shrink tube you may simply use electrical barrel nuts with heat shrink ends.These can be purchased at CarQuest/Autozone for about a dollar each.You will need eighther the pink or green depending on the guage of wire.Some may say the barrel nuts are not the way to go but when repairing/replacing automotive pigtails some auto manufacturers actualy include them with there replacement electrical plugs.

I'm going to use a wire extension kit. This way no cutting or soldering. Now I need to get the connectors apart under the gas tank. I did as the Manual said - To separate the connectors use a screw driver to press down the tang on top of the connector and pull the socket half from the pin half - I just spent about 20 minutes trying to get them apart, feels like if I pull any harder I will rip the wires out, or break the connector. Did any of you guys ever try to separate the connectors? Maybe I just need to go for it and pull really hard, I'm not sure.
I still dont get all of this, just looking at wires makes me nerves, but I think after I get the connectors apart then I will understand how to get the wires out and connect them to a wire extension kit... I hope... Thanks.

I'm going to use a wire extension kit. This way no cutting or soldering. Now I need to get the connectors apart under the gas tank. I did as the Manual said - To separate the connectors use a screw driver to press down the tang on top of the connector and pull the socket half from the pin half - I just spent about 20 minutes trying to get them apart, feels like if I pull any harder I will rip the wires out, or break the connector. Did any of you guys ever try to separate the connectors? Maybe I just need to go for it and pull really hard, I'm not sure.
I still dont get all of this, just looking at wires makes me nerves, but I think after I get the connectors apart then I will understand how to get the wires out and connect them to a wire extension kit... I hope... Thanks.

Dont pull too hard on those wires or you'll end up with a bad connection inside the plug.Sometimes one of the plugs has a grommet attached to it, holding it firmly in place to the frame.If so you must free the plug from the frame in order to seperate it.If its free and still wont seperate squirt some Zep,PB blaster or WD into plug opening around the connection point.

Thanks for the advice. With my sons help we got them to separate. Now the next step will be to separate the wires from the plug one at a time. I'm not doing that untill I get the wire kit, then will come my next cry for help...

Thanks for the advice. With my sons help we got them to separate. Now the next step will be to separate the wires from the plug one at a time. I'm not doing that untill I get the wire kit, then will come my next cry for help...

Gary, of course you could install an aftermarket wiring kit that has all the color coded wires in various 1" length increments from 6-12" with the proper male & female ends ready to go...JMHO :bigsmiley12:

NEWHD74FAN.
My brother showed me how to separate the wires. The only kit with installed connectors I can find come in 4"- 8"- 12" . Where can I find a kit with installed connectors in 1" length increments from 6-12", that would be cool. On my bike 8" is a overkill and 4" will just do it, a 5" would be perfect...Thanks.

Back