free website stats program exploding pistons | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

exploding pistons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the guy was wrong in his reasoning that others were questioning his justification in believing that HD was the bad guy and not the Tech. There is always three sides to every story but his attacking, though unjustified, is understandable. I would be terribly (in much stronger words) upset had this happened to a build of mine, if I were in his shoes.

Since the grenading of the piston happened at less than 7 miles on the build, something is very much questionable that I suppose we will never know.

It was the HD kit - was it supposed to have forged? Were they mis-packaged or switched (at dealer level or otherwise?)

In 7 miles, it wouldn't matter if the KR was off or not, the engine should not have been subjected to excessive rpm's until enough time on the build clock (in my opinion). This is something that remains unknown.

Was the download that the dealer performed specifically for the engine/bike/package. What was the download PN. Was it set too (much too) lean?

Did the piston grenade in the wristpin area, ring land area, center top, was the piston inspected for poor casting issues?

Too many unknown questions.

but his attacking, though unjustified, is understandable. I would be terribly (in much stronger words) upset had this happened to a build of mine, if I were in his shoes.

Of course you would be upset, who wouldn't be. It's one thing to not know or understand why total destruction occurred and be upset but at least have an open mind. His 'Chicken Little' approach that the sky was falling on HD from something "they did & know about" was unjustified without 1st reverse engineering the failure.

You would not have needed a "black box" to untangle this wreckage. It could have been done without too much work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back