free website stats program Exploded view of CV carb | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Exploded view of CV carb

When I first opened up the backplate on my bikes I think I used a 1" hole saw and drilled a few holes, on the sportster I up jetted a few sizes on the main and slow jets, on the softail I fitted a mikuni hsr carb a k&n filter and opened up the backplate with the hole saw but later replaced the air cleaner with a mikuni setup for the bike

Brian

Why bother with drilling, cutting, etc.? Just install a Zippers Mo Flow air filter and new cover.
More air more fuel bigger cams and pistons yeah boy adjustable timing is a plus

I think I still have the softail original air box somewhere out in the shed if I get a chance tomorrow I will try and find it and take a photo dark and cold out there at the moment and I don't like going down the back garden in the dark at this time of year as it is too easy to corner a badger looking for leatherjackets ( European crane fly larva )

Brian

More air more fuel bigger cams and pistons yeah boy adjustable timing is a plus

My posts have been responding to Scruffman who is running pipes and a K&N air filter; a bit more fuel will help and a re-jet is next. No bigger cams/pistons, so adjustable timing won't help. Truly, timing tweaking is almost a waste of time, even on a "built" motor; a lot of time for TQ/HP gains that might not even show up on the dyno; been there, done that.

as a car person I know that you need to do intake work when exhaust work is done. So just a little few mods it'll help the motor run better.

Ever find that air box?

Last edited by a moderator:
WP_20161008_16_10_45_Pro (Small).jpg WP_20161008_16_10_58_Pro (Small).jpg yes it has 3 1/2" holes either side of the carb mount just enough to let a wee bit more air in

Brian

Were those top and bottom of the carburetor? Or does it matter

You will get more flow with al early SE back plate and a high flow filter like the one shown in the photo attached to my previous post. More air flow than your Stage I motor needs. Understand that hi flow intake and exhaust will definitely help the motor breathe but the cylinder heads can only handle so much flow. The OEM cams don't demand hi flow. Also consider that the holes in the back of the back of the backing plate are drawing in pre-heated air coming right off the cylinders where the air drawn in from an open filter (as shown in the previously posted photo) is drawing in air at ambient temps; much better.

Toss the old baking plate and pick up an early SE Stage I plate and filter; cheap in Ebay and re-jet. Vent the head breathers externally while at it; your motor will like it..................;)

Back