free website stats program Exhaust 'ticking'....still | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust 'ticking'....still

noiddodge

Getting a 'ticking' sound from the top pipe only, and only at idle. Had the bike since august '08 (02 FXD, 31k mi) appears to have stage 1 done (a/c, SE II mufflers, i am assuming re-jetted), bike has always made the sound. Checked for exhaust leaks and loosened/pushed the muffler back on just in case....no help (sound disappears when obstructing the muffler to check for leaks, move your hand back 8" and every 'tick' is accompanied by a strong pulse of exhaust...fwiw). Looked in mufflers, they are gutted.....beginning to wonder if these SE II's just sound like (edit), or if i have an ignition issue (or valve issue, or cam/cam chain issue...)...but the check engine light 'says' no prob....hate to go to the stealer with this, may have to look for an indy if i can't figure it out/fix it.

Bike seems to run good - but i have no point of reference since it has always made the noise.....

Please read...
[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me that if the noise goes away when you put your hand over the exhaust then the noise is the exhaust. perhaps someone took all the guts out and left you with the extra noise that you don't like. If you put your hand over the end of the pipe and the noise goes away?????----jack

THX guys, think i'll look for a good set of aftermarket taper slip-ons (w/ removable/changeable baffles), maybe even a set of performance header pipes (w/ crossover).....

Sorry 'bout the edit Glider, no excuse - never even thought about it when i typed it.....won't happen again...

THX guys, think i'll look for a good set of aftermarket taper slip-ons (w/ removable/changeable baffles), maybe even a set of performance header pipes (w/ crossover).....

Sorry 'bout the edit Glider, no excuse - never even thought about it when i typed it.....won't happen again...

Maybe a baffle is flopping around inside the muffler???????? It might not be tight fit? My "77" sporty had removable baffles. If you didn't install the screws to hold in place it would move back an forth.

Back