free website stats program Exhaust system install | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust system install

bikernick

I'm getting ready to by my wife a Fatboy Lo. I know that I want to add V&H Big Shot exhaust, Stage 1 Air Cleaner, and I will need to download the map or get a fuel controller. My question is, should I add this when I purchase the bike or buy the parts and install myself? While I do my own maintenance on my Road King, I've never done anything this extensive.

I'd appreciate your opinions, pros and cons.

The whole thing is very easy to do with basic tools. The download can be done after, it is complete. You can also ride it back to the stealer for this download as long as you don't twist the throttle to hard, or you can go the other route and buy a fuel controller.

The only difference would be the labor cost and the fact that anything installed at delivery would be warranted along with the bike.

Instead of the dealer download, why not go with the TFI instead. It gives you a better running engine and it's not lean like the EPA download.

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers

Lots of info on it in the self help area.

You may be able to swing a deal on the add-ons since you are buying a new bike and as Glider mentioned if the dealer installs them they should be under warranty. JMO

Agree w/others - check on price w/dealer (parts & labor) vs. buy & self-install. If it's reasonable & having assurance on warranty coverage is desireable - go for it. Otherwiswe, with basic knowledge, tools & service manual, who's not going to have fun wrenching on the new scoot. Your wife could lend a hand too (wrenching together). I upgraded all three (exhaust, air & TFI) last winter - anxiously waited for spring to test things out & everything worked as planned. Remember...help is only one post away...;)

I did the vance and hines, with the feul pack and stage 1 air cleaner. I dont have much experience working on bikes but that was a eazy and fun install .Im new here so I didnt know about the TFI, and the expert panel here..:newsmile096:

I was looking at buying the new low for my wife and I found that because of the price you can buy them for ($8500) most dealers are not willing to give any deals on add ons.Better off to go with the TFI and buy the rest of the parts from J&P cycles.JMO

STEVE07, you must be talking about one of the sporties because you can't come close to a FATBOY LO for that price.

I'm heading to the dealer today to see what kind of deal they will offer.

The only difference would be the labor cost and the fact that anything installed at delivery would be warranted along with the bike.
Instead of the dealer download, why not go with the TFI instead. It gives you a better running engine and it's not lean like the EPA download.

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers

Lots of info on it in the self help area.

bikernick I don't know what they are charging nowadays for a dealer map download, but I agree with the above post on this. I have V&H's, SE A/C and a dealer map download and I'm still saving for a tuner. My bike runs good but a good tuner will do more to lower running temps (and other things).

You might want to also check out TTS Mastertune or the new SE Tuner. You will need a PC (in case you are using a Mac). Course there used to be a card you could plug in a Mac that would run PC software, don't know anymore, would prolly cost too much. Good luck with it.

I was looking at buying the new low for my wife and I found that because of the price you can buy them for ($8500) most dealers are not willing to give any deals on add ons.Better off to go with the TFI and buy the rest of the parts from J&P cycles.JMO

Good choice Steve, I was thinking the same thing, but she fell in love with that Vespa...bless her heart! :small3d031: Ain't no Harley, but the smiles per mile equation still works...!:small3d002:

For EFI, having user tuneable TFI is probably the best choice for Stage I fueler...and it may be had at a discount by your association with HDT...a real deal IMHO.:bigsmiley12:

Back