free website stats program Exhaust Smoke? | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Smoke?

5dollars

Ok, turned the bike on to take it in for a checkup. Before I could get my helmet on I noticed smoke coming from the exhaust pipe where it is connected to the motor...any ideas???

Are you saying it was coming OFF from around the pipe or where it connects into the motor.

IF off the pipe, it could have an oil leak from a valve-cover gasket OR a Loose leaking Exhaust Flange and gasket. (smoke should mean Oil)

signed....BUBBIE

Ok, turned the bike on to take it in for a checkup. Before I could get my helmet on I noticed smoke coming from the exhaust pipe where it is connected to the motor...any ideas???

Is your valve cover leaking oil down onto the header? This gets seriously hot, and oil will smoke quickly if you get some on the pipe near the heads.

If not that, could something else have gotten on the pipe?

If you are getting smoke at the head, but not at the end of the exhaust pipe, then I don't think you have smoke in the exhaust.

Cheers,

TQ

I do not see any oil or buildup in the area, it appeared to be blue smoke with a funky smell. I shut it down and waited for about 30 seconds before I started it up again. As soon as I saw the smoke again I shut it down. Harley is coming to pick up tomorrow, they did not want me to drive it up there...

I do not see any oil or buildup in the area, it appeared to be blue smoke with a funky smell. I shut it down and waited for about 30 seconds before I started it up again. As soon as I saw the smoke again I shut it down. Harley is coming to pick up tomorrow, they did not want me to drive it up there...

A good idea on Harley's part since it's still under warranty...right. Lets us know how Harley handles it. Thanks!

Go figure, when you take your car to the mechanic the trouble stops. Well its the same for motorcycles:newsmile108:. Harley could not find anything wrong with the bike...

You check if it stop after 2 - 3 minutes? If the muffler are cold it can be only h2o vapor

This may sound dumb, is the oil tank over full? Do you have upgraded air cleaner?

There several ways Oil/Contaminants can get onto the head pipe. Jack noted one is the air box filter.Checking the oil dipstick and allowing it to Drip onto the pipe (common)
Another is leaking down from a valve cover gasket. That must have been eliminated by the HD shop.

The Other:

Some times Wax or Cleaner can be wiped on the pipe and Smoke-Off when started.
NO oil under bike is a good sign of Not much of a problem but from human workings.

Good you have NO problems but still wondering what caused the Smoke in the first place.(aren't you?) Me too....:s

signed....BUBBIE

Back