free website stats program Exhaust Smell | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Smell

Was riding (01 Ultra) with a few buddies and 2 of them that were behind me said my exhaust smelled like varnish. What could this be??? I only use 91 octane gas from Union 76 & regular maintenance. I have a decel pop and every now and then from intake(air filter area) pop.

Was riding (01 Ultra) with a few buddies and 2 of them that were behind me said my exhaust smelled like varnish. What could this be??? I only use 91 octane gas from Union 76 & regular maintenance. I have a decel pop and every now and then from intake(air filter area) pop.

On the "popping", have you done Stage 1 to your bike? Is your bike EFI? If yes to both, have you had a Dealership download, or do you have a fueler? If yes to first but you have a carb, you may want to try some different jetting to add a bit more fuel. But before doing that, check for leaks on the intake side and the exhaust. Those procedure can be found here:

EFI Tuner Comparisons - Harley Davidson Community

Finding An Intake Leak - Harley Davidson Community

Muffler Leaks - Harley Davidson Community

Fuel and Carb Related Issues - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

I have been using the same fuel from the same station for the last 2 years since I purchased the bike. The previous owner put gear drive cams, new cam plate and bearings, new oil pump and quick remove push rods, power commander III and Vance & Heinz slip on mufflers and had the bike dyno tuned at a reputable shop. He said the air ratio was 15 to 1??

I also have changed the plugs twice in the last 2000 miles. They have black soot around them but center electrodes are clean

I have been using the same fuel from the same station for the last 2 years since I purchased the bike. The previous owner put gear drive cams, new cam plate and bearings, new oil pump and quick remove push rods, power commander III and Vance & Heinz slip on mufflers and had the bike dyno tuned at a reputable shop. He said the air ratio was 15 to 1??

I also have changed the plugs twice in the last 2000 miles. They have black soot around them but center electrodes are clean

OK, so EFI.

If it really is 15:1, that is WAY too lean. If you can hook up the PC and check that to see what it really is. Adding more fuel should reduce your popping problems, reduce the heat from the engine, and improve throttle response.

Do you know what cams are in there? Did the previous owner do that too or just leave the OEM cams? Is the breather a high flow or the original? If it is a HD part, the p/n should be on the plate somewhere and you can find out if it is a high flow.

With all that info gathered up, see if there is a download available for those configurations. Then study up on the PC and see where you need to add some fuel to reduce the popping - give the beast some more fuel, and improve throttle response.

TQ

Back