free website stats program Exhaust Slot/Hole? 2008 FLHX | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Slot/Hole? 2008 FLHX

I'm amazed at how "high tech" muffler clamps have gotten (according to the moco). They are both lubricating AND locking, for only $8 ea.:small3d023:
I wonder if when you take your bike in for warranty and do not specifically tell them that you know that the clamps are "not to be reused". What the chances are that when you get it back, it has the same old clamp? I'd bet 70/30. for the old clamp to still be there.
Dr.Doolittle, I don't ask that you do this, because then you would have the inconvenience of returning to get it done correctly.
Harley's warranty dept.has no problem at all paying for the new clamps, and they want you to use new clamps (customer satisfaction, you have to keep some to stay in business ) so it's a no brainer. If that customer comes back to the dealership with a ex. leak and loose muffler that he did not have before the wheel repair, well it's kinda like cutting someone's wires to get there fairing off. We pay the extra so we expect the extra.

Not to worry Doc.My 08 is the same way.This is just the bikes ay of reminding you that you only have 3 weeks left to extend the warranty.

Not to worry Doc.My 08 is the same way.This is just the bikes ay of reminding you that you only have 3 weeks left to extend the warranty.

Nah, I've pretty much decided I've got lots of other things I'd rather spend a couple grand on than lining the pockets of whoever underwrites these policies for the MOCO. I've done ZERO mods to my engine and exhaust, maintained the bike by the book from day one, and run quality synthetics in all 3 holes so this baby should be good for many, many more years. I just hope I'm not posting in a month about some tragic mechanical failure that makes me wish I'd ponied up for the warranty!

No worries Doc, quite honestly the 2008 model year seems to be a high watermark and certainly one for me, got my Harley and found the HDT Forum, can't think of you or your ride being in better hands!!! :D

No worries Doc, quite honestly the 2008 model year seems to be a high watermark and certainly one for me, got my Harley and found the HDT Forum, can't think of you or your ride being in better hands!!! :D

You're absolutely correct - between the collective genius of this forum's membership and the reasonable pricing at my indy mechanic, I should be able to handle anything that comes along, physically AND financially.

Here's the follow up if anyone's interested.

Took the bike in to Cartersville HD this morning. Bike was done and washed in an hour!

The muffler was in the correct position, it was the clamp that was on wrong.

I asked the service manager about the "single use" TORCA clamp and his answer was that the manual is referring to a situation where the clamp is moved or removed and actually distorted in some way. Just loosening the nut, scooting the clamp into position, and retightening the nut does not require a new clamp.

Took the bike in to Cartersville HD this morning. Bike was done and washed in an hour!

The muffler was in the correct position, it was the clamp that was on wrong.

I asked the service manager about the "single use" TORCA clamp and his answer was that the manual is referring to a situation where the clamp is moved or removed and actually distorted in some way. Just loosening the nut, scooting the clamp into position, and retightening the nut does not require a new clamp.
Thanks for the follow up, well I guess we never have to use a new torsa clamps cause if you ever had one off, you would need to have a big vise and large hammer to distort one of them clamps, their heavy duty. I think some one did not want to do the warranty paper work for just a torca clamp:) but not to worry Dr. Doolittle the clamp will do just fine, I'm sure, I've reused them many times on my own bike, while I was service manager, my tech's always use new clamps on customers bikes, if the job was not warranty and the customer was paying the tab he was advised up front. It was just cheap insurance and shows the customer's bike the respect it deserves. And never had a bike come back with a loose clamp.
Glad you got the problem fixed:)

Good deal that you got the issue fixed, Doc.

I have V&H pipes. Have taken them off a couple of times as I had that darn "tweeting sound". I emailed V&H stating the situation and they mailed me free set of torca band clamps. I got them in the mail 4 days later, made sure those gaps were covered and all is good now.

Ride safe and have fun.

With 30+ replies in a few days, of course we're interested. Your threads always seem to generate a lot of interest. Maybe it's because Dr. Doolittle knows how to "talk to the animals". Now I'm waiting on the outcome of your Overpants purchase. :laugh Thanks for the follow up.

With 30+ replies in a few days, of course we're interested. Your threads always seem to generate a lot of interest. Maybe it's because Dr. Doolittle knows how to "talk to the animals". Now I'm waiting on the outcome of your Overpants purchase. :laugh Thanks for the follow up.

Mainly because I'm so good at playing devil's advocate and not toeing the Harley line 100% of the time! I don't have a fraction of the expertise that the mods and dozens of other members have but I tend to agonize over the simplest decisions for days and weeks at a time so when someone asks about something I've already mulled over a bit, I'm more than willing to throw my 2 cents out there!

Back