free website stats program Exhaust Slot/Hole? 2008 FLHX | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Slot/Hole? 2008 FLHX

The Glider and company have you covered Doc...very common for mufflers to "walk" a bit if the exhaust system is not positioned properly so the inner sealing surfaces are not tensioned inward prior to clamping down the works, and of course if not tightened properly afterwards vibration (on a Harley?!!) could make the parts want to separate...

Reusing Torca clamps really does not make sense unless it is solely out of necessity and possibly have an exhaust leak. Kinda goes along the lines of the packing glands (rings) and such, especially if you know you are going in there in advance.
:small3d023:

Last edited:
I have to through my 2 cents in and agree with Tank, I have reused torca clamps like everyone else, probably more so, and have had a come back:(. reusing torca clamps you don't get the clamp load you think, in 09 they changed the clamps & now use a coating that acts as a lube to help get proper torque and it acts as a locking mackanism to keep it torqued, when you remove the clamp to do a tire replacement, that coating is on the clamp, it works the opposite the secound time you use the clamp. It's just cheap insurance against ex. leaks, the service manual is like the bible, if you don't follow it you know what's going to happen:)
2009TorcaClampChange.jpg

My exhaust is stock and these clamps haven't been touched a single time so the reuse issue doesn't apply. Either it's been like this since I bought the bike or the muffler has migrated backwards enough to expose this slot.

My exhaust is stock and these clamps haven't been touched a single time so the reuse issue doesn't apply. Either it's been like this since I bought the bike or the muffler has migrated backwards enough to expose this slot.

I'm amazed at how "high tech" muffler clamps have gotten (according to the moco). They are both lubricating AND locking, for only $8 ea.:small3d023:
I wonder if when you take your bike in for warranty and do not specifically tell them that you know that the clamps are "not to be reused". What the chances are that when you get it back, it has the same old clamp? I'd bet 70/30. for the old clamp to still be there.
Dr.Doolittle, I don't ask that you do this, because then you would have the inconvenience of returning to get it done correctly.

I'm amazed at how "high tech" muffler clamps have gotten (according to the moco). They are both lubricating AND locking, for only $8 ea.:small3d023:
I wonder if when you take your bike in for warranty and do not specifically tell them that you know that the clamps are "not to be reused". What the chances are that when you get it back, it has the same old clamp? I'd bet 70/30. for the old clamp to still be there.
Dr.Doolittle, I don't ask that you do this, because then you would have the inconvenience of returning to get it done correctly.

Wow, great minds think alike!

I just got in from walking the dogs and I was about to sit down and add a question to this thread along the exact same lines. I'm going to put some kind of mark in a concealed spot on this clamp before I bring it in to the dealer and see if they put a new one on. I read on here once that some folks do that anytime something is due to be replaced, like an oil filter.

My only other question would be that if they only loosen the clamp a bit to slide the muffler forward, is this considered a reuse? Or is the manual talking about a situation where you actually remove the clamp?

Back