free website stats program exhaust recomendations | Harley Davidson Forums

exhaust recomendations

98fat

I know this has been covered many times before, but would like a recomendation for a better exhaust system for low end performance. I have read alot of the other posts on this issue. I have a 98 fatboy with a Dave Mackie dm500 cam (bolt in) and Vance and Hines big shot stagger exhaust (no baffles). Jetted CV carb. The thing suffers from lack luster performance until the cam kicks in at about 3800 rpm. Looking for low end torque. I could order baffles for the Vance system but would rather look at another system. Thinking about a Vance Pro pipe (chrome).

Thoughts.

The D&D fat cat 2 into 1 was the best money I spent on my bike by far, felt like a different ride after the install. Lots of bottom end and i can actually feel the bike pulling in 6th gear.

The D&D fat cat 2 into 1 was the best money I spent on my bike by far, felt like a different ride after the install. Lots of bottom end and i can actually feel the bike pulling in 6th gear.

+2, with the exception I'm running the samson caliber 2-1's. Also as mentioned the best money I've spent on my bike.

98fat,
I'm running a 2 into 1 Vance and Hines Pro Pipe HS on my 1994 Softail. I totally love the performace with this pipe. It has great torque and has a good sound also. I'm running the competition baffle in it also. V/H has a new Pro Pipe BS, which is suppose to eliminate the slight gold bluing in the center of the baffle. I was running a Thunderheader before the V/H Pro pipe. Got rid of the TH becuse it kept buring ignition modules as the rear pipe wraps the cone on the Softtail. Not to mention the bluing of the pipes out of the cylinders without any great covers avaliable. The Pro Pipe is worth the money, Chrome looks great and hold up. I would reccomend it as I have been running it on my Softtail (FXSTC) for years.

since we're talking pipes...i'm looking at the V&H Big Radius for my 08 FXSTC...
any experience/thoughts appreciated - everything is OEM at the present time...

thank you

It does rate very high in the cool factor though. And more importantly, it looks scary fast. I guess my bike could look scary fast except I ride it like a grandma. :newsmile011::laugh

Thanks Hobbit,

When you say "fueler" i assume you mean fuel-management (correct?). And yes, i will do a full stage-I type upgrade including air-in, fuel-manage, and exhaust-out...

Thank you for the feedback!

Thanks everyone, I have looked at the PRO Pipe HS but didn't want the blue problem. The BP pipe isn't made for a 98 (old bike I guess). I am looking at the Big Radius 2 to 1, has a removable baffle and is "blueproof" for the entire length, and has similiar performance according to the Vance people. I would like to hear one in person before buying. Curious if the D and D has a problem with the blues.

i have a 2002 nightrain with the following mods. S&S direct drive gear kit.(replaces cam chain tensioners) 510 grind cams. Adjustable pushrods...(to accomodate the cams) High flow air filter. Thundermax ECM and closed loop system with the O2 ports. Black 2 into 1 D&D fat cat exhaust.

The bike pulls good and sounds decent. i used to have samson shortys on my bike and it sounded LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS but i wasnt getting enough pony's. So swapped the stuff out, re-mapped the ECM and rode it. Definite difference in torque and horses. still pulls hard 100 mph and has good torque range. Gonna try to post some pics, but im new...so may not work. "the Jewish Indian"DSC00002.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

100_2056.jpg

Back