free website stats program Exhaust question | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust question

Talonz

I just purchased my first ever Harley Sportster XL883N. I decided to remove the slip on baffles because I just love it loud! My question is this, since removing the baffles is there anything else that needs to be done with the bike to ensure a good running engine and also Everytime I hit 5th gear I hear a loud clatter noise in the engine, is that normal. I am a noob so I'm wanting to learn more and do right by my ride. Thanks for any help in advance!

That's doesn't sound good... Are you hitting the rev limiter? Is the bike new or used? Model year? Also, did you remove the baffles from the slip-ons? Or did you remove the slip-on themselves? Less exhaust restriction requires tuning in some form. If you removed the slip-ons, you really need to do some tuning.

First thanks brother, my bike is a 2017 XL883N. I removed the whole baffle, just the pipes are there. And I have no idea what a review limiter is lol remember, noob

Did you read your owners manual? The rev limiter is what keeps you from over rev'ing the motor. I have a feeling a detailed explaination of it would be lost at your level of knowledge. No offense intended. Did you purchase it new or used? If purchased from a dealer, I would make a trip back to the dealer with your issue.

Unfortunately, your lack of basic knowledge could be an obstacle in trying to troubleshoot an issue we can't see or hear.

A more detailed explanation of when the issue happens would help. Does it happen at high revs, low revs, what speed, does if stop after you let off the throttle, or does it keep making the noise. Help us help you by giving us more info.

Last edited:
It's all one unit so yes, baffle is off which in turn shortened the length but it's giving me the sound I want.

The bike was purchased new, only 4 miles on it and since I don't know much about Harley's the noise has me curious. It was there before I removed the baffles.

No offense taken brother, I Know I lack knowledge. I'm just trying to do right by my ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
That I do understand, I can put the baffles back on with ease, I just don't feel like paying 750$ for pipes when the removal of the baffles is the solution.

Make sure you place your mufflers(baffles) back on They would probably cancel your warranty without them.See below pic if it comes out. # 33 is your muffler, the baffle is inside that and non removable.
upload_2017-6-20_20-46-9.gif
tourbox

Back