free website stats program Exhaust Popping | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Popping

bikerjeff

So here it is; '07 FLHTC with Ness Big Sucker breather kit and Rush race series slip-on's, 1.7" baffle left side, 2.25" baffle right side. Power Commander installed. Still getting poppingn through the pipes at decel.

Ideas?

Thanks gang...

That happens to my RKC '06 with Hooker Pipes ALL the time. I love the sound of it. (It is almost as loud as me farting. :dknow)

I was told to fix it I can have the bike re-mapped. Nope. No harm as I understand it.

BuzzCap7 :bigsmiley11:

So here it is; '07 FLHTC with Ness Big Sucker breather kit and Rush race series slip-on's, 1.7" baffle left side, 2.25" baffle right side. Power Commander installed. Still getting poppingn through the pipes at decel.

Ideas?

Thanks gang...

The 2.25 muffler will be VERY difficult to eliminate all the popping simply because the exhaust gasses are are traveling slower than 280 feet per second so the gasses stay in the pipe for a longer period of time. A 2'' baffle would speed up the gasses and with a good tune all the popping should be eliminated

I have noticed the poping also. I just got the bike and everything prior was done at the dealership. I know that some popping is likely but what would be a sure sign it needed a remap.

There should be NO popping if it is tuned correctly and you have a good package going for you. Think about it like this....does your car or truck pop?

I had a lot of decel popping on my 2006 ultra with Big sucker AC and Samson ovals. I took it in to have SERT installed and dyno tuned thinking that would help. The decel popping didn't stop. The dyno guy told me that my pipes since they were nearly the same as straight through pipes would pops on decel.

A couple months later the dyno guy sees my bike in the shop for service so he contacts me. He says he found a way to get ride of most of the decel pop. He experimented with his boss's bike and found a setting in the map that helped get rid of most of the decel popping. I had him make the adjustment and it has improved things a lot. I hardly have any decel pop now. The adjustment only helps the decel popping and doesn't affect anything else. If you want his name and shop, let me know.

Had a lot of popping on deceleration,finally started to hear the exhaust leak.Replaced both gaskets,no help.still heard the leak.Ended up finding a hole in the rear pipe about 8 inches out of the rear cyclinder where a bracket is .The bolt for it worked loose....vibration kills...you know the rest.Able to weld the piece back....we'll be back on the road tonight.

i would check the tuneing on your pwr commander and maybe try the 2'' baffle ether one of those could do it ... id start with the tuneing
keith

There should be NO popping if it is tuned correctly and you have a good package going for you. Think about it like this....does your car or truck pop?

I wholeheartedly agree with Doc here. With a correctly tuned bike you shouldn't get any popping.

Back