free website stats program Exhaust popping | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust popping

Backwoods Boy

I recently purchased my first road king that is stcok with the exception of some Hooker pipes. When I decelerate i hear alot of popping in the exhaust. It is even worse when traveling on a decline. Is this normal? What can I do to correct this issue? Thanks for any suggestions.

Aftermarket pipes being better flowing will pop some more.. also you need to check for exhaust leaks .. also popping on decel is lean

Last edited:
Adding a high flow air cleaner and a tuner will have a huge impact on performance for you. The tuner is the only way your going to be able to be able to make adjustments and get rid of the popping. Being that your 05 is an open loop system your best bet on a tuner would be a Power Commander. It is also easiest to find a professional tuner to put it on a dyno and build you a custom MAP. DynoJet will also send you a MAP that is usually at least 95% right without the expense of putting it on a dyno.

The popping is normal and even happens with stock pipes, they just muffle it so you don't notice it.

As the others said, look it over and make sure you don't have an exhust leak as that will cause popping also.

If you have the Hooker tuned flow slip-on's..and are running the stock head pipe's..set the left baffle to the T...and the right one to the H....this will cut down on some of the popping on decel...The Hookers are a very free flowing muffler. I have a set on my '04 Rk running true duals and a power commander III...I get a lot of compliments on the sound and the way the bike run's

Dont forget about your intake, behind carb, mine was loose and that caused popping on decelaration

You need to make it breathe better on the front side with an A/C and FI controller to rich'n up the mixture. I used the dobeck TFI tuner, if you're going to go with hotter cams, then the PC III is a better choice.

Alot of unburned gas in the exhaust will case popping also u will notice it more now because of lessbaffles all my after market pipes have done this learn how to read your spark plugs and u should be fine

Back