free website stats program Exhaust pipe color | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust pipe color

hogcowboy

My 07 Electra Glide Ultra's exhaust pipe has turned yellow all the way back to the muffler on the right side. Is this normal for a 96? My 1985 88 never turned color that far back but I don't know about this 96 that I purchased used in May. I've only ridden highway at 70 mph for 200 mile stints and am getting about 44.5 miles per gallon. Bike seems to be running just fine with no pinging or backfiring. Well until two days ago I got one backfire slowing down once but that's it. Would seem just about normal to me but I'm not sure about how far the yellowing is going.

My first thought was a lean tune but only one backfire in three months and absolutely no pinging up to 90mph. That's just the fastest I've gone around anyone so far. I felt like it had more in it if I wanted it. Could the darn thing have "learned" a lean condition. Or should I not be concerned with it and just continue to ride it this way? Whattcha say?

My 07 Electra Glide Ultra's exhaust pipe has turned yellow all the way back to the muffler on the right side. Is this normal for a 96? My 1985 88 never turned color that far back but I don't know about this 96 that I purchased used in May. I've only ridden highway at 70 mph for 200 mile stints and am getting about 44.5 miles per gallon. Bike seems to be running just fine with no pinging or backfiring. Well until two days ago I got one backfire slowing down once but that's it. Would seem just about normal to me but I'm not sure about how far the yellowing is going.

My first thought was a lean tune but only one backfire in three months and absolutely no pinging up to 90mph. That's just the fastest I've gone around anyone so far. I felt like it had more in it if I wanted it. Could the darn thing have "learned" a lean condition. Or should I not be concerned with it and just continue to ride it this way? Whattcha say?

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-40588.html Your bike is TOO lean,check your muffler clamps also making sure there are NO leaks

IMO that's normal heat discoloring. My 2010 RGC is yellow right to the collector. I got some blue also.

Is it all stock? Is the exhaust completely stock? Have the heat shields turned color or just the pipe?

Is it all stock? Is the exhaust completely stock? Have the heat shields turned color or just the pipe?

No not all stock. Has SE slip-ons and SE breather. Just the pipe not the heat shields. Like I said I was thinking a lean tune but only one pop in three months and no ping? Just doesn't sound like a lean condition or at least not a bad one.

Do you have some sort of tuner on it to richen it up after installing breather and slip-ons? They are all very lean from the factory, open up the airways and its even more lean.

No, no tuner that I can find. I'm assuming it would be something that doesn't look factory and would be very apparent. Would it be on the left side or the right?

It would be hooked up to the injector wires and under the seat or side cover. You may consider adding one. It will cool the bike down and add some longevity. You will sacrifice some fuel mileage. Lot's of info here in the self help section to help you do some research. Lots here use the Doebeck that is easy to install and adjust yourself. Good customer service, forum and service member discounts.

Thanks, I look into that. Now using 93 octane won't have anything to do wit this will it? All I can get here is 87 or 93. No 91 like the owners manual suggest.

This is my opinion only:
I think you will almost always get some slight discoloration on your header pipes and the inlets to your mufflers, but it should never be severe if you are running a reasonably rich mixture. You do not need to worry.
You often see bikes with severe bluing on the headers or mufflers, and this is a sure indication of too lean a mixture.
The advice about a TFI is good. This enables you to enrichen the mixture a little for idle, acceleration, or top end, or any combination thereof. They are easy to install, an easy to tune. You will notice a big difference when you roll on the throttle.

Rod

Back