free website stats program exhaust or suspension... | Harley Davidson Forums

exhaust or suspension...

Cory

That is the question...

so me riding with my girlfriend puts a little "load" on the sportster... to the tune of I could swear I heard the frame bottom out a few times. (Just the jiffy stand making contact?!????)

I'd like the sportster to ride just a tad higher too.. sure can't corner like my maxim, around the streets..

Now I'm still looking into which progressive setup to get (help on suggestions for that would be great too!)
Especially since I'm about 270 (at a modest 6'4") and my little lady lord forgive me... she's about 130. I reckon the bike's at max load with the two of us on there...

And god knows I've felt the suspension bottom out too, a couple times. :shock

But I also want a little bit better performance and the true harley sound (hence the exhaust quandry). But then, my girlfriend rides with me at LEAST 50% of the time... Shoot, I just bought her all the necessary riding gear for her to ride with me too! (darn motorcycles get expensive!!! ;) ) no chaps for us yet, but now I'm yammering...

Any insight ladies and gentlemen? Will a better suspension also help with my passenger's sore hiney after a good 45 minute ride too?

Get a bigger bike. There is lots of used bikes, no miles and all the work done, going reasonable. Enjoy the ride or you won't want to. Harley has test drives, try something out.

I got the exhaust (Cycle Shack) and SE breather first. My back is already sore this season and I have the Progressive shocks and fork springs coming in. Comfort vs. cool...the choice is yours. Or, since you've already realized it's an expensive habit, just get both. (And a bigger bike of course, too.)

Now that really helped, didn't it? You can tell I work as a management consultant. Can I see your watch so I can tell you the time please?:bigsmiley20:

Cory

I would say that you should consider a bigger bike with the two up riding that you do. I think the sporty is a poor choice for this with the combined weight. JMHO:s

+1 on the bigger bike. I'm a BIG guy as well, and the bigger bike makes a wonderful difference in comfort.

If the bigger bike isn't in the budget, I would say do the suspension first. Always remember: "If mama ain't happy, no one's happy." :yes

yeah, I didn't think the missus would take to riding it so quickly... so I didn't anticipate too much doubling up.

and unfortunately, no. A bigger bike is not in the budget nor was it ever, as much as I would have liked one.

Regarding suspension, I assume you have already pre loaded the springs to the max? If so then you will need different front and rear shocks/springs.You can do slipons later once you improve ride and safety.

Go to you tube and you can hear all the harley exhaust sounds you like. I do when I can't ride. No sound like the shovel. Can't help with the shocks, I know nothing about bikes except carry CAA or in you case AAA, or is this something the police make you do. Save your money, your already hooked.

Well, then I would go with a 12 - 13" HD Progressive shocks. I think you will still have a smooth ride when solo. Hope it works out for you...

I just bought a set of the HD 412s in chrome at a 13" length.

should be here in a week and a half. woo hoo!

Back