free website stats program Exhaust noise levels??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust noise levels???

cdn-bigfoot

I got my exhaust noise level metered by the local police today under an amnesty program as a new bylaw comes into affect.
Bylaw states V-twins are not to exceed 92db at idle and 96db at 2000 rpm.

I hit 92.5db at idle and over 100db at 2000 rpm. Making my 2006 Street Bob ripe picking for a $250 fine.:newsmile077:
I have Cobra Speedster Shorts pipes with the quiet baffles (-3db), a Kuryakin Hypercharger with K&N filter and a Cobra FI2000R fueler.

Cop said I should adjust my fueler to lower my exhaust noise.
SAY WHAT???:bigsmiley30:

Is this guy crazy or can I actually lower my exhaust noise at 2000rpm by adjusting my fueler?

Leaning it out will reduce the exhaust note just a bit but you would need his equipment to see the difference.

That's what I said to him. I would need an accurate db meter to test it after the adjustment. I can't imagine it'll drop my noise levels by 4 db at 2000rpm either. That would be cutting the noise level by more than half. Impossible.
Thanks for confirming an adjustment in fuel may affect noise levels. Who woulda thunk it?

I'm going to do exactly nothing and wait until I get a ticket before I mess with my bike.

:bigsmiley18:I kinda feel like a bad boy biker riding an illegal bike and all.:bigsmiley18:

If they just tested at idle, you could reduce the first pot but when they go to 2000rpm's all bets are off :D

Numbers as low as 90db have been suggested for US nation wide in the past and that was for any operating range. Along with HP and speed limts on them.
It is coming if we allow this bunch of nuts to keep running the country.

AMEN to that Smitty.

how did they test a street bob at 2000rpms when they dont have a tach?

They had a cheap little plastic tachometer they sat on top of the speedo. Cop said it cost 50 bucks. rpm's by induction?

I'm thinking it's just a bunch of civic politicians that like to hear themselves talk and pass bylaws so they can feel important. I get the impression most cops think this is a crock as much as we do. No doubt the cops will use this to pull over bikes and bikers they don't like the looks of. Most of us with illegal pipes will never get ticketed.

Still it's MORE GOVERNMENT. And who thinks that's any good?:newsmile077:

They had a cheap little plastic tachometer they sat on top of the speedo. Cop said it cost 50 bucks. rpm's by induction?

I'm thinking it's just a bunch of civic politicians that like to hear themselves talk and pass bylaws so they can feel important. I get the impression most cops think this is a crock as much as we do. No doubt the cops will use this to pull over bikes and bikers they don't like the looks of. Most of us with illegal pipes will never get ticketed.

Still it's MORE GOVERNMENT. And who thinks that's any good?:newsmile077:

Wonder how acurate that is:D

Back