free website stats program Exhaust Leaks | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Leaks

Scrounger

May be a simple question, but how do you know if you have an exhaust leak? Can you feel it. Hear it. Smell it. Was wondering about the gaskets off the head.

You'll get a lot of backfiring under hard decel. Eventually getting worse to include a jerky ride at low rpm's in 1st gear. You may even see some black scorching on the pipes, clamps or head.

Listen for a ticking sound, or if you are brave use a welding glove and plug up the pipes one at a time and listen close:s

would the old trick of using a long screwdriver and putting one end on where you suspect the leak and your ear on the handle work on this? i know it works when trying to find out if your alt./water pump/P.S. pump/main berring is going out....not sure if it works with exhaust leaks (might make a different tone on the screwdriver...)

would the old trick of using a long screwdriver and putting one end on where you suspect the leak and your ear on the handle work on this? i know it works when trying to find out if your alt./water pump/P.S. pump/main berring is going out....not sure if it works with exhaust leaks (might make a different tone on the screwdriver...)

No

In the other instances you're listening for a different vibration that doesn't belong. In this instance it is an escape of exhaust and the resulting reduced back-pressure. I doubt there would be a harmonic difference.:guitar

I've used the smoke from a cigarette to detect exhaust leaks. Hold the cigarette close or blow some smoke around the clamp area while raising the RPMs.

I've used the smoke from a cigarette to detect exhaust leaks. Hold the cigarette close or blow some smoke around the clamp area while raising the RPMs.

ah...a much better idea...and if you dont smoke - bow hunters use ground wood ash in an empty visine bottle to check wind direction....i guess baby powder could work too.

Back