free website stats program Exhaust Leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Leak

mav23

Have been noticing a slight exhaust leak from the rear cyl. (2009 flstsb). I have Samson true-duals installed.
Upon inspection, I saw the nut on the bottom stud has backed off about half-way. I am sure simply tightening the nut will solve my problem but getting at the nut is a nightmare. I am thinking I need to buy a 1/4" swivel and hit it with a socket, but if someone has tackled this fastener before, let me know how you got to it.

Thanks

The 1/2" and the swivel is the right way to go to access the nut.

Glider is correct. Take the heat shield off, I do use a universal with the socket. It helps if you close your left eye half way while moving your tongue in a counterclockwise rotation. If you do not know any curse words you may need to hire a sailor for this part of the job.:D

Very Good Gentlemen, thanks a million. Surely taking the heat shield right off will keep those socket-sized holes from appearing on the old drywall. I swear those come right out of nowhere

I use a wobble extension to get to mine, sometimes the socket slips off and I have to get it with needle nose pliers, but I do not have to remove the heat shields.

I use a wobble extension to get to mine, sometimes the socket slips off and I have to get it with needle nose pliers, but I do not have to remove the heat shields.

SK 1/2 inch Drive Extensions and Sets These are very good tools, I believe we now sell them at Sears, I have had a Snap On set for many years:) These come in 1/4 and 3/8 drive also

Last edited by a moderator:
Back