free website stats program exhaust leak? | Harley Davidson Forums

exhaust leak?

wvcoalminer

i have a 1996 FLSTC and i just rejetted the carb and added a hypercharger bike runs great only i noticed now i have a lot of decel popping when i removed the exhaust i put in new se gaskets from hd how can i tell if i have an exhaust leak or should i have used tapered crush gaskets

i have a 1996 FLSTC and i just rejetted the carb and added a hypercharger bike runs great only i noticed now i have a lot of decel popping when i removed the exhaust i put in new se gaskets from hd how can i tell if i have an exhaust leak or should i have used tapered crush gaskets

Use some heavy gloves like welding gloves and block off one pipe at a time with some heavy cardboard and listen for hissing at the heads and or any joints:s

Decel popping is an indication of a lean condition. You just messed with the carb, so that's where I would look.

thanks ill check for leaks and i installed a 45 slow and a 185 main when i did a couple of plug chops they looked good would a slight intake leak cause this?and my bike is pretty much stock hypercharger long shots with thundermonster baffiles and a cv performance kit

sorry a/f out 2 3/4 turns

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the exhaust changed or is it the same? What is a CV Performance kit? That may be your problem. What jets did you take out? Was it running good before the hypercharger addition? Maybe the bike is mad about the Chinese air cleaner and it is its way of trying to tell you...........Just kidding, of course.

Bodeen

i bought the bike used about 1 1/2 years ago and it had the pipes on it ran ok but my bros ran away from me limited time to spend (and $$ ) as i work in the mines alot the kit is a stage 1 cv kit from cv performance the bike really picked up on bottom end and top end runs great it popped a little bit before i added the stuff but got a little worse after. the jets that were in it was 44 slow and 175 main and as i said i went to a 45/185 and i also put in a set of baffles they were open pipes before

Given that you actually added some restriction to the exhaust, I'm with Jack here. Check as he recommends and see if you dont have a leak. I doubt you are lean at this point but not sure what the "performance kit" actually does.

Bodeen

the kit comes for your type bike and you get jet needle emulsion tube smaller spring and various jets i also opted for the ez just a/f screw and new packing and spring and put a new brass elbow in im thinking maybe when i put the pipes back on i didnt get a good seal i ordered a set of cometic tapered mesh crush gaskets new flanges and rings should be in this week ill try that do you think intake leak may cause this i sprayed carb cleaner around intake at heads and carb no differance in idle

opps had a brain fart when i installed the kit i was not going to drill out thr hole:bigsmiley25: in the slide but i noticed it had already been drilled not sure if this will add to the problem sorry i forgot to mention that

An intake leak would certainly give you lean condition symptoms. If you had one, you should have picked it up with your test. The Cometic's are the way to go. Try putting your gloved hand over the exhaust as Jack mentions earlier and see what happens. It's a quick sure fire way to rule out an exhaust leak. ANother thing that comes to mind is grade of fuel being burned. I know my bike will act differently on decel depending on the fuel quality.

Bodeen

Back