free website stats program exhaust leak?? | Harley Davidson Forums

exhaust leak??

vegas

I have a beand new softail deluxe.
Put on a set of samson true duals.

Awesome looking!!

But is it normal to have a flow of air between the oil pan and the motor?
With the bike on there is a flow of hot air down there...

I don't know it it's an exhaust lak coming from the rear hole where the pipe goes into the head.

Doesn't seem as if its coming from there, the air seems to be lower than that..but I can't tell.

Anyone know if this is normal or if I have a leak?

Bike sounds great...nohissing, no weird sounds...sounds awesome...

The hot air is just making me think twice!

Put on a pair of heavy gloves and block the end. (or have someone block the exhaust).
Listen for a hissing at a weld or where it connects into muffler.

I plugged the ends...

Didn't notice any hissing sounds...

But I can still feel a draft of air down between the oil pan and the engine...

Weird, is this normal?

Thanks everyone!!

Should not be any air/exhaust movement except at the end of the cans (slip-ons).

First the obvious: no cooling fan on an oil cooler or in place of the cow bell?

Do you have O2 sensors that may be loose? Is there a crack in the header pipes especially under the heat shields where it may be hidden?

TQ

AHA!
Looked all around and where the header pipe goes into the crossover pipe there is a skip in joint with a clamp.

I saw a streak of white sooty residue coming from an edge.

Found the leak!

Now I just gotta crank down on the clamp bracket...but that doesn't stop it, is there anything I can put on it to stop the leak? Can I just coat the pipe with gasket sealer?

Thank everyone for your help.

And no...doesn't void factory warranty.
I chcked with the dealership before installing.

AHA!
Looked all around and where the header pipe goes into the crossover pipe there is a skip in joint with a clamp.

I saw a streak of white sooty residue coming from an edge.

Found the leak!

Now I just gotta crank down on the clamp bracket...but that doesn't stop it, is there anything I can put on it to stop the leak? Can I just coat the pipe with gasket sealer?

Thank everyone for your help.

And no...doesn't void factory warranty.
I chcked with the dealership before installing.

High temp silicone in the joint http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_permatex_ultra_copper_maximum_temperature_rtv_silicone_gasket_maker.htm have used this to seal up cross overs

I would just paint round the joint with some copper grease prior to assembly it will be ok at exhaust temperatures and make disassembly easier in the future

Brian

Time out.

If the clamp is a TORCA clamp, this clamp need to be flush with the end of the slip over pipe section covering the slots in the pipe. As you tighten the TORCA it will compress the two "halves" of the over-pipe securing the pipe and sealing the slots. If the TORCA is too far back over the solid part of the pipe, it will be ineffective. Check that first.

TQ

Back