free website stats program Exhaust leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust leak

gator508

Experienced Member
Went for a short ride yesterday and noticed a lot of decel popping. Parked her in the garage and started checking the exhaust and sure enough the exhaust on both cylinders was loose. Grabbed the torque wrench and tightened it back up to specs 120"lb. Took it back out, problem solved. I guess the weather change may have had something to do with it getting loose.
Question: Anyone else have the same thing happen, how often should one check this. I read in the help section that adding another nut as a lock nut will keep this from occuring. Thanks!!

When I had the 08 superglide I had the same problem. Seems for some reason (at least for me) the gaskets kept failing there by causing the exhaust leak. Ended up putting some good qaulity (not HD) gaskets in and never had another problem with it.

If there is enough thread, some use a double nut or put a new lockwasher underneath the fasteners. Sometimes anti-seize works better than expected...but certainly better than galling/locking "permanently" :s

If there is enough thread, some use a double nut or put a new lockwasher underneath the fasteners. Sometimes anti-seize works better than expected...but certainly better than galling/locking "permanently" :s

The stock nuts leave a lot to be desired, Trash them and use some grade 5 or 8 nuts with lock washers and anti sieze and you will be happy:s

Jack's got the right trick and, if you wish, can still do the "double nut" idea too. I try to check mine monthly to ensure tight & definitely invest in swivel-end for socket/torque wrench...helps reach the tight space(s).

Thanks for the replies guys, I will add it to my monthly checklist. It is a little tight getting in there, my swivel was to no avail. I used a thin long extention and was able to get to the nuts no problemo!

Thanks for the replies guys, I will add it to my monthly checklist. It is a little tight getting in there, my swivel was to no avail. I used a thin long extention and was able to get to the nuts no problemo!

Try a wobble extension, they work real nice:s

Back