free website stats program Exhaust Leak | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Leak

Hiyas again, not sure if its proper to continue on the thread I started or create a new one, so someone can guide me there.

My new question is, is it normal to loose 10mpg with the V&H slip on and SE Air Filter? Unfortunately I have only been able to gauge this on 1 tank of gas, as its been lousy weather here in Northern Georgia for a couple of weeks.

or did I do something wrong with the rejet, etc. As a reminder I went with the 45 and 170 (is it pilot and main? I was corrected earlier in this post, but it seemed contradictory to how I purchased the jets on the internet, the smaller was listed as the main, and the longer was listed as the pilot)

pulled from one of Glider's responses to me: "the reason i say back to front is that the smaller number ie 42 is the pilot jet. the 175 that goes into the large brass tube that surrounds the needle is the main jet." this is contrary to the J+P links, unless I am missing something.

HDTimeline - Harley Davidson Community

tried linking in the 45 jet, but wouldnt work

as well on throttle, a couple of times, I would hear a popping noise, and it seems like it was running rich? stock the longer jet was a 175, do the higher numbers make it richer? Maybe I'll try swapping in a 165.

Popping is usually related to a lean mixture. The higher the number the bigger/richer the jetting.

You always continue on your original post and not start a new one.

Your lower MPG could be due to a few things like idling to set the mixture and testing out the new power. Take an average of about 3 tanks to get a proper MPG reading.

If you get the popping on throttling up, you may eliminate it by raising the jet needle with 2 - #4 washers under the head or try a #46 low jet.

If it's running lean, would it pop a lot? I believe I only heard it once on a full tank. As well, I don't really know what I am listening for. I thought it sounded like a pop, but not too sure.

I will try that spark plug test I read about somewhere, as well as I thought I read somewhere about bringing the bike upto 70 in 3rd, coming off the throttle and listen.

popping on a lean condition would do it all the time

I am glad to hear, the biggest part about doing all this work myself, has been that I did something wrong, or am not aware of any problems caused by what I did......but then again, the dealers may not be any better.

I am assuming with the V&H SS, and SE Air cleaner 45/170 jets should NOT be causing a lean mixture.

Back