free website stats program Exhaust Leak | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Leak

On most of these bikes, you'll see 2-3 hoses that dead end in front of the rear tire area (great place to dump anything). One is a battery vent, one is a fuel tank overflow and the third could be from a purge system for the various state emissions or even a crank breather that was rerouted. There are other non terminated hoses also such as the trans vent line. Follow the hoses back to the termination point and you'll see where they go to for a better understanding.

What's connected to the other end of that hose showing right at the corner of the cylinder inside the primary?

On most of these bikes, you'll see 2-3 hoses that dead end in front of the rear tire area (great place to dump anything). One is a battery vent, one is a fuel tank overflow and the third could be from a purge system for the various state emissions or even a crank breather that was rerouted. There are other non terminated hoses also such as the trans vent line. Follow the hoses back to the termination point and you'll see where they go to for a better understanding.

What's connected to the other end of that hose showing right at the corner of the cylinder inside the primary?

I know of the one from the carb, now I guess the one hanging down is fuel tank vent (hmmm. does that come from that little thingamajig sticking up from inside the fuel tank?). I got a little worried as I thought maybe it melted off from a connection. as well the end looked a little wider, sorta like it used to be connected to something. that tube in the middle of the picture just seems to come out from that main casing, is that the trans vent? (is that one normal?) got a small anxiety attack, with my previous post, as I assumed that since something was wrong that I caused it. But for sure, I am learning the bits and pieces of the bike. :bigsmiley17: feeling better now. Hope everyone has a happy holiday season.

Yep, forgot there was a carb here, there's one from there too and the other one comes from the fuel tank overflow so when you over fill the tank it doesn't run over the tank and onto the hot motor.
There should be a trans vent down near that hose I mentioned by the corner of the cylinder too.

well no shortage of fun going on here. there must be some sort of short of some sort going on here. (say that 10 times fast). I jiggle the bracket that holds on the battery to get power back, but if I try to start it, it makes an initial click, then power is gone again.

something i never noticed before, and it may be related to this problem, is when i turn the ignition key, the speedometer makes a noise, almost like its getting power. its quite audible, and I don't ever recall hearing it before this latest problem.

I have the seat off now, but you can't see too much beneath the bundle of wires, was trying to look at the negative end of the battery see if there's any short.

fun. fun. fun.

Remove both cables and wire brush both and reinstall them. Remove the neg first and install it last.

Don't forget there are two ends to both cables that could cause a problem, but usually it's the battery end.

Also don't rule out a bad cable itself where the copper goes into the end fitting. If you see green in there, replace the cables.

Also take a look at the fuse panel for corrosion.

Sportster Fuse Block - Harley Davidson Community

Remove both cables and wire brush both and reinstall them. Remove the neg first and install it last.

Don't forget there are two ends to both cables that could cause a problem, but usually it's the battery end.

Also don't rule out a bad cable itself where the copper goes into the end fitting. If you see green in there, replace the cables.

Also take a look at the fuse panel for corrosion.

Sportster Fuse Block - Harley Davidson Community

Definitely something causing a short. with the ignition key on, i can get the power back on jiggling the battery. this time however, i was able to get the starter to crank, instead of the power dying after the initial attempt to crank.

I do have an extended warranty and wondering if I should tell the dealer to take a look, assuming they don't say, my adding slip-ons, rejet and new air cleaner would affect the electrical system. maybe just a coincidence, but everything was appearing to be fine until these changes.

I'm so glad I have a great sounding board from you all on these forums, otherwise, I would be lost.

wow, fuse box corrosion is an understatement. this is actually all good learning.

Last edited:
Have you done this?

From what you are saying, it doesn't sound like a short.

If jiggling the battery brings back power, it's either a bad connection at the battery cables or bad battery.

Have you done this?

From what you are saying, it doesn't sound like a short.

If jiggling the battery brings back power, it's either a bad connection at the battery cables or bad battery.

looks like the negative cable on the battery was loose. was able to remove the battery, tighten everything up and all looks ok.

I did try riding without my windshield today. man can't say I liked it, the wind was practically pulling my half-helmet off and almost couldnt inhale because of the force of the wind. guess i'm getting old.

thanks for the assistance thus far.

Last edited:
Back