free website stats program Exhaust Leak | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Leak

Hey Glider,

How hard is it to replace exhaust studs. They are not broken or anything like that, but they are a little rusted, and I would like to replace them. It is a real pain? I can get the nuts off the studs with no problem at all, just since they are a little rusted, I don't want to take a chance and break one.

If you double nut the stud and lock the nuts together, then heat the stud, you should be able to remove them with hand tools.

bah, i think i missed something, i looked at this which now appears to be a different type of main jet, than what i was expecting when i checked the maintenance/repair guide.

Keihin Carburetion Jetting - D.R.I Tech Support Center

so i thought the jet was adjustable, but it doesnt look it, search around a bunch so far, not sure what type of main jet to get now.

i assume keihin main jet - cv carb. theres so many in the search compared with the pilot jet.

i used this search for the pilot jet - Pilot Jets for Keihin Carbs for 1976-2006 Models. i'm a little lost on which jets to get and even though i now took off the air cleaner and made sure i had the proper tools to remove the 4 float bowl screws, im getting a little skeptical now. :(

edit: I just found some of these. #170 MAIN JET ROUND-STYLED MAIN JETS FOR CV-TYPE KEIHIN CARBS

more reading says the stock on the xl883 is 155? maybe i should buy a 165 and 170?

Last edited:
ok. I removed both old jets. Main jet says 42, pilot jet says 175 which now confuses me, if I was going up to a 160 or 170, and for shorties you went to 180. i would think the stock would have been lower than 160.

starters you have the main and pilot back to front the main is 175 leave alone and up the 42 pilot to a 45/46.
are the letters DJ after the 175??

sorry for my ignorance, not sure what back to front means, the main is 42, pilot says 175, no dj after the 175, both have what looks like a small star on top, could the 175 have been changed by a previous owner? so your saying the 175 is fine, up the main jet, and give it a whirl? I have the hdtimeline link to testing whether a bike is lean or rich. I can do that (i think :) ) but your saying that the 175 could be ok? i guess i can do the math i saw on one link to figure out the jets to use.

thanks for putting up with my questions........:D

....and i thought i learned something, guess i got the jets backwards still, but the numbers are correct. :) I swapped in the 170, am going to put the new air cleaner on tomorrow and give it a whirl. am i listening for anything special when starting it, also visually i dont see a difference between the 175 and 170 with my "never seen a jet before" eyes. will keep you posted. i did the exhaust test, and from my common sense stand point, it doesnt appear to be leaking.

.....hope that float is properly back in after removing my first float bowl.

good stuff. I appreciate it. now i''m ready to to rebuild the carb now. yuk, yuk. :) hopefully this is my starter bike, which i can learn on. dream come true for at least 25 years, always wanted a HD. you all make it fun. i am going through withdrawals, trying to ride it again, will post a pic on sporty sticky when im all done.

I just installed some V&H straight shot slip-ons, and found this to be a good thread to post my question, boy does it make the bike a (EDIT) lot louder than stock.

hmmm, just going through my original post again and saw I was edited, i forget what i said, possibly something related to the hot place below, anyway didn't mean to cause extra work. :small3d023:

glad your enjoying the experience thats half the battle, take it slow make sure the accelerator pump rod goes smoothly into the pump.
Sporties are one of the easiest bikes to learn on.
have fun and i look forward to seeing the pics

All done, took it for a short ride this afternoon, everything seems to work ok, afaik, couldn't tell if there were any problems based on the sounds i heard, maybe seems slightly fat on the throttle, but i'm no expert, not even a novice. I read a bunch more posts in the exhaust section of forum, i'm just afraid i may have messed something up, because it all seemed to go so smoothly. does the carb idle need to be adjusted? I'll just have to keep listening, as well a co-worker has been around bikes for a long time, so I will let him ride it and listen.........anyway thanks again.

well, sorry to continue on the exhaust leak thread, but now I think I'm in deep molasses. My next question would be, I guess at what point to I seek a paid mechanics help. (I am trying to look up in the book, so I get as much as the parts and terminology correct)

I started the bike this morning, no problem, until i stopped it then saw what looked like either exhaust leak from the front pipe, which I didn't see the other 2 times starting it. thought it might be some grease on the muffler clamps burning off as well, but anyway, i took of the exhaust shields as the muffler didn't appear to be seated well on the cross-over tube and gasket, I adjusted it, started it, didn't see any smoke, but stopped the engine, then was about to take a quick ride, and all of a sudden bike does not start. no electricity, when the ignition is turned on (lights, etc. odometer, does not display mileage either when key is out) when the key is out, the the speedometer needle seems to flutter for a bit. so i took off the battery cover, now I see the vent hose from the tank come down into nowhere not connected to anything (maybe thats ok?) after it leave the vapor valve. as well there is a thicker rubber tube that comes out of the top of I guess its the main gear case or lower engine, right in front of the starter. it curves out then doesn't go anywhere.

I took a picture. :cry

edited: I've edited this, I guess one problem has nothing to do with the other. though I am learning a lot about my bike. I was playing with the battery area, apparently a loose connection or something, after playing with it i get power again to the electronics. though i still am concerned with the 2 rubber tubes in the picture.

Attachments

• IMG00132.jpg
    IMG00132.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Back