free website stats program Exhaust leak problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust leak problem

Bad news and an Update:

First off, thanks for the responses. This site is filled with heroes. Heroes I tell you.

Used the Permatex that "The Tank" suggested.

Still getting the exhaust leak. It looks like it's coming from between two flanges/fins.

Can I just put JB Weld in there to stop the noise? Or is there some other way?

I'm on a budget and this is not a show bike. 96 Sportster 1200.

Thank you in advance.

Maybe I missed something along the way here, but it sounds like you may have a blown head gasket, ( It looks like it's coming from between two flanges/fins. ). Do a compression check and see how the two cylinders compare.

Maybe I missed something along the way here, but it sounds like you may have a blown head gasket, ( It looks like it's coming from between two flanges/fins. ). Do a compression check and see how the two cylinders compare.

Agree, do a compression test, is the offending cylinder running cooler or hotter than normal? This would also indicate a blown head gasket, if this is the problem change them both to keep the compression ratio the same:s

OK so it really looks like a head gasket and because of my budget I've decided to do the work myself.

Some final questions:

1) What ELSE should I do when I do the head gaskets? You know since I have it apart and what not.

2)Also, are there any videos you guys/gals can point me to that can help because I've never done this before?

3)Will I need any specialized tools for this job?

As always, thanks!!!

OK so it really looks like a head gasket and because of my budget I've decided to do the work myself.

Some final questions:

1) What ELSE should I do when I do the head gaskets? You know since I have it apart and what not.

2)Also, are there any videos you guys/gals can point me to that can help because I've never done this before?

3)Will I need any specialized tools for this job?

As always, thanks!!!

You will need a torque wrench, follow all torque steps, there is a un torque sequence for taking it apart, not to laugh the rocker boxes can get distorted, you can find the torque values and a diagram in the self help section if you cant find it let me know I have it here some where:s

Cylinder Head Installation here is the link you need, use a good gasket set like Cosmetic check the heads for true and the rocker boxes keep it clean, and a drop of oil under the head bolts before assembling:s

That was a good guide that Jack posted of the two methods i have always used the factory method with a 1/4 turn as the final setting
The last time i replaced the head gasket it was slightly different from the older ones and required the o rings to be removed from the cylinder dowels

Brian

You will need a torque wrench, follow all torque steps, there is a un torque sequence for taking it apart, not to laugh the rocker boxes can get distorted, you can find the torque values and a diagram in the self help section if you cant find it let me know I have it here some where:s

Yes, can you please point me in the direction of the diagram and such in the self help section?

Darn the link won't open Jack.

I will try later maybe it's glitched or something.

Thank you though.

Last edited by a moderator:
One last, last, last question...maybe;

1)What are some good gaskets to use for the head gasket? '96 1200XL Sporty.

And thanks a lot guys. You really put my mind at ease knowing that I'm not alone.

Back