free website stats program Exhaust Issue | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Issue

Wow! I thought I lived in a corrosive environment. You may have coastal Fla. beat in that department.

28 miles in from the ocean and I can feel the sand in the air, I can smell the sea breeze every day, yep I agree with Bodeen, this is corrosive tho probably not as bad as across the pond

Bodeen, She lived a year in Melboure FL. I bought her new from Orlando HD. I did not have her a month and the spokes started rusting and took her to Orlando HD and Space Coast HD and they both told me that HD does not warranty for rust. They then told me that I am suppose to spend 3 hours a week detailing the spokes to ensure that they don't rust. Just got the front and rear fenders redone in Oct and they already have bubbles forming. I will more than likely have to have the bike repainted in the spring. What I find funny is my neighbor has a Honda CBR and it sits outside with no cover and in all types of weather and does not have a bit of rust on her.

Tony

you can use a propane torch extension ( has a long rubber hose attached, )but i would use MAP gas because it gets hotter. at a parts store they make a stud remover that you attach to a socket if needed. cover the gas cap with a wringed-out wet towl. as others have stated use std. or metric 6 pt. socket of get the tightest fit poiisble. good luck.
when you put a new set of nuts on use anti-seize on it & double nut it. (use 2 nuts ) tightened against each other.

IF you can take a small torch and Heat Just the NUT till it is red hot......
Then Immediately******** SPRAY water from a spritzer bottle (big squirter) to COOL it AS Fast as you can squirt until Nut is cool...
The nut should come off by hand or maybe need a little clamp pliers needle nose to help...

The heat to red and then cooling Fast will stretch out the threads in the Nut... It should come right off.

I have done this on Tough jobs and You have one on your hands...

As Brian (fin) says Copper Grease...:D

signed....BUBBIE

So here is an update. Finally had some free time and nice weather to get the bike outside to remove exhaust nuts. So after months of soaking with liquid wrench the nuts came off. Not the way I wanted, but with the exhaust studs as well. Good thing too because looking at them I was lucky as they appear to be fused to the studs. So now I have to call the dealer in the morning and order 2 studs before I can fix the bike. So next question What color locktite do I use when reinstalling the studs? Here is a picture of one of the offending studs and this one is the better of the two.

Tony

Attachments

• IMG_4193.jpg
    IMG_4193.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 29
What color locktite do I use when reinstalling the studs?

With exhaust gases exceeding 1000*F, locktite is not going to do much for you. When I changed mine, I used NeverSeize. Install the stud using double nuts, then assemble the pipe. Worked for me.

Lots of good advice here, never sieze is a very good one.
another thing I did with my softail was to use nylock nuts. I first did this as an experiment, not knowing how the nylon would hold up toexhaust temps. I built that bike from scrtatch 8 years ago and have more than a few different exhaust systems on it before finally settling on Samson Desperados (like V&H longshots). The fact is the nylon has held up quite well, a couple yrs ago I replaced all of the nuts just because they looked like they needed it. Never had an exhaust leak, or any issue getting the nuts off.

New studs ordered. Was a little surprised they only cost me $30 including shipping, expect them to be more from the dealer. I should be in my hands by Wed then hopefully will have the bike fixed and running by Saturday.

I usually make my own studs.

Cutting off a grade 8 bolt and grinding the end that goes into the engine head BUT leaving it a little ragged on the very tip...It seats in nicely and like Hoople said (fin_676) "copper grease" Double nut tighten, it will seat/set in just fine... Usually in a year or two It will be Hard to come out but Not as tight as first from Harley:D

signed....BUBBIE

I usually make my own studs.

Cutting off a grade 8 bolt and grinding the end that goes into the engine head BUT leaving it a little ragged on the very tip...It seats in nicely and like Hoople said (fin_676) "copper grease" Double nut tighten, it will seat/set in just fine... Usually in a year or two It will be Hard to come out but Not as tight as first from Harley:D

signed....BUBBIE

I have hard enough time getting SAE tools or parts here for my vehicles. Never mind trying to find grade 8 bolts with the correct tread count.. There is not even a true parts store here. Ie. Auto Zone or Napa. If I need parts I usually end up going to 4 or 5 different places to get everything I need. I already have a huge shopping list for my next trip states side. My sister is going to be surprised with the amount of packages that will be arriving over the next few months. Will be heading over with empty suitcases and come back with full cases of bike stuff.

Back