free website stats program Exhaust Issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Issue

cromwell

Ok, need a little assistance. I have an exhaust leak at the manifold. The Dealer wants over $1000 to replace the exhaust gasket because they say the entire head will need to be removed in order to remove the bolts because they are rusted. I have ordered the parts all the parts along with two replacement nuts. I have been soaking the nuts daily using Liquid Wrench for the last week and want to know the best way of removing them. This is on the front exhaust pipe and one of the nuts looks to be rounded. Will take a picture of them and post it tomorrow.

Thanks

Tony

First thing to do is remove as much clutter from around the stud as you can to allow good light and access to the stud but get the fuel tank off an put away some where safe
using a gas torch heat up the stud and nut until it is red then try to get it off
if that does not get it off then i would cut a slot in the nut with a dremel if you do not have one drill a line of small holes and then finish off with a cold chisel that should crack the nut open and allow it to be removed ensure when drilling or cutting the nut that you do not go deep enough to touch the threads but enough to create a weak spot that the chisel will exploit

Brian

First thing to do is remove as much clutter from around the stud as you can to allow good light and access to the stud but get the fuel tank off an put away some where safe
using a gas torch heat up the stud and nut until it is red then try to get it off
if that does not get it off then i would cut a slot in the nut with a dremel if you do not have one drill a line of small holes and then finish off with a cold chisel that should crack the nut open and allow it to be removed ensure when drilling or cutting the nut that you do not go deep enough to touch the threads but enough to create a weak spot that the chisel will exploit

Brian

+1 on heating the nut, you really don't have a lot of options due to the location. You may end up splitting the nut as Brian suggested but 1000.00 dollars at the dealer is crazy!!!

After yo clear the exhaust out of the way, soak the studs with P B blaster, use a 6 point socket if you have to drive a smaller size socket on after applying heat, I would use a heat gun less chance of starting a fire, have a fire extinguisher handy just in case. If you plan on replacing the studs, take a deep socket and an extension, place it over the stud square against the head and give it a few raps with a hammer, this will help to jar the stud loose:s

You didn't say if this is on your 2009. If it is, I can't imagine they are in that bad of shape in just a couple of years. I changed my exhaust gaskets 6 months ago and 3 of the 4 studs just unscrewed out of the heads which made it that much easier.
You got lots of good advice. PB Blaster & heat should get through it ok.
In the past with cages, I sometimes had luck with trying to tighten the nut first, then loosen.

I'm interested to know how it turns out.

Thanks everyone. Did not get a chance to get pictures today. Will try again tomorrow. Hoople yep it is on my 2009. What can I say bike is ridden in all types of weather and have already had both fenders repainted twice because of rust and will have to replace the back rim soon as the chrome is seperating. I have already ordered stainless steel spoke to replace the chrome ones because they are badly rusted.

Wow! I thought I lived in a corrosive environment. You may have coastal Fla. beat in that department.

If you ride all year round on this side of the pond a motorcycle will eaten by corrosion in only a few years
So most Riders keep their bikes for good weather i had to replace the fork tubes on my motto guzzi every spring although i did fit fork gaiters after the second set were fitted and have fitted fork gators to all subsequent bikes for winter use but Harley's stay in the shed for winter

Brian

Back