free website stats program Exhaust install question. | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust install question.

jigglestick

I am thinking about installing Vance $ Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 pipes on my wife's 2003 Night Train FXSTB. 88 inch motor. Carbureted. The bike already has Screaming Eagle 2 into 2 exhaust. I know that with fuel injected models I would need to install a fuel management system such as a fuel pak. Since hers is carbureted, will I still need to install a fuel pak and O-2 sensor? This is my weak area, but I am thinking that with carbs, just adjusting and maybe re-jetting will do? Or am I way off here?

Thank you in advance.
WAP.gif

No o2 sensors or fuel pack is necessary for her carbed bike. Also since there's already a freer flowing exhaust on the bike now, minimal changes may or not be necessary to the bikes jetting. I would install the pipes and see how it runs and go from there. If jetting is needed, my guess is there is probably about a .45 or .46 low speed jet in it now with a .170-.180 main in it. You will usually only need to go one jet size larger with an exhaust change like that. Next size up from the .46 is a .48 and the mains go up in increments of .05 A .185-.190 would be the max it should need if any with that setup. Like i said, ride it first and post back any issues and we can steer you into a proper direction for jetting if needed.
WAP.gif

Thanks BigAl. If I can ever get this guy on Craigslist to answer me, I will go ahead and install them. He posted the ad for the pipes on Monday. I have called him twice a day since I saw the ad on Monday. I have texted him and also emailed him. The ad is still listed. He has not replied to my voicemails, or texts. Waiting on an email.

But I thank you for the help and it's kinda what I figured. If and when this happens, I will get back to you on the results of the install.
WAP.gif

No problem. I love those pipes. I'm running them on my Softail now. A nice bark when you get on it with a mellow deep tone at highway cruisin speeds. Good luck, hope you can complete the deal and get them.
WAP.gif

Not the same bike, but similar concept...I installed V&H Short Shots on my former 05 XL1200C and the bike didn't require any adjustments. Ran those pipes for 4-yrs without a hiccup...you should have similar results with your wife's train.

Well that all sounds great. I've been wanting to put those pipes on her bike for a while now and when I came across that deal on Craigslist, as far as I was concerned, they were going on her bike. They guy said that he only had them on his bike for 800 miles. They were flawless and only asking $350. Unfortunately, he finally replied to my email. Said that they were sold 2 days ago. (This is where I say a few cuss words!) Well, at least now I have some better idea on fitment and performance. I will get them on there sooner or later. Thanks guys.
WAP.gif

Deals come & go...there's more pipes in the sea - just gotta be patient.

I was in Jordan earlier this month for a wedding - stayed in the BW hotel right before bridge. Nice town - ate at Cubby's B&G.

Back