free website stats program Exhaust heat wrap | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust heat wrap

Sheila

I have a 2004 roadking have been thinking about useing heat wrap. Could some tell me the pros and cons about useing heat wrap on exhaust pipes.

Sheila, welcome to the HDTimeline forum and your first post. While wrapping pipes may look trick, serious problems will undo the "wrap" underneath in about a year or two, look here:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/harley_davidson_exhaust_related_issues/21361-wrapping_exhaust_pipes.html

You will find a lot of tools on this website to help you customize and service your V-Twin and make it your own...Self Help tab catagorizes service making things quick and easy. While no substitute for the HD Service Manual, many of them have pictures and diagrams to help you! Also, the Search tab is pretty handy to find related threads to a subject of interest. Just type in keywords like wrapping pipes and the above thread was found.

Probably one of the worse things about heat wrap/tape is it will ruin the finish of pipes and possibly increase corrosion. I know it's a nice "old style custom" look, but you'll probably end up looking for a replacement exhaust in 3-4 years.

Probably one of the worse things about heat wrap/tape is it will ruin the finish of pipes and possibly increase corrosion. I know it's a nice "old style custom" look, but you'll probably end up looking for a replacement exhaust in 3-4 years.

Agree with Iceman, if you put it on you most likely stuck with it, so better be sure thats what you want :s

I have a 2004 roadking have been thinking about useing heat wrap. Could some tell me the pros and cons about useing heat wrap on exhaust pipes.

Are you looking reduce the heat you feel, aesthetics or both?

I had my pipes crack at the rear cylinder. I ordered a new set and had them coated by JetHot. I got the "brushed aluminum" looking coating. It reduced the heat that I felt a little bit and completetly removed any of the blueing that the heatshields didn't cover. I have had them installed for over 6 months (maybe longer) and they still look like I just took them out of the box. I think JetHot makes a flat black coating as well, so it would look something like black wrap.

A friend in my HOG chapter wrapped his 07 ultra pipes. Rotted out in less than a year. It made the chrome on the pipes turn a greenish color. I rode his bike and it did reduce the heat that I felt, but it was not worth the outcome.

Great for short drag pipes and racing, as it helps to hold in extra heat for more low pressure scavenging, on a street bike it will destroy the pipes:D

If the pipes are to hot for you, you need to add more fuel to cool them down and make the bike run better. It will help alot with a fuel controler like a TFI, do a search at the top of the page for TFI, you'll see what I mean.

Back